Hip pain during nighttime can be quiet devastating as it makes impossible for a person to sleep. Pain in hip can be due to the position you sleep or may be due to various other factors. Hip pain is more prominent when you sleep on one side. It can be excruciating or moderate depending on the underlying cause. However, in any circumstances hip pain must be diagnosed as soon as possible and treated. When you spend sleepless nights, your daytime is always unpleasant and tiresome.
Often the pain is not limited to hip joint and it radiates to back and thigh.Pain can be gradual in onset or may be sudden, sharp and lancinating. When your hip hurts while sleeping on one side, treatment must be directed at the underlying cause. Let us know the various factors that may be involved for hip pain while lying on one side.
Causes Of Hip Pain While Sleeping On Side
Hip pain is not uncommon and many people suffer from it. However, it may be confusing for you to find the exact reason because there are numerous causes for hip pain. The reason may be as simple as improper sleeping habit to something more serious such as degenerative disease of hip joint.
Here are some important causes for hip pain while lying down at night:
- Improper sleeping position: First and most common reason that many people overlook is improper position while sleeping. If you regularly wake up with disturbing pain in hip at night look out the manner in which you are sleeping. Bad sleeping posture can hurt your hips. Secondly, your mattress can be the problem. Too hard or too soft mattress can aggravate the pressure points causing hip pain. If you are sleeping on side, try to sleep on your back or sleep on the side that is not hurting or keep a pillow between your knees so that your hips are aligned.
- Tendonitis: When you are referring to pain on the side that you are lying down, you are referring to pain on greater trochanter. It is the head of femor the thigh bone. Hip joint is the ball and socket joint. The socket is made up of curvature of the hip bone whereas the ball represents the head of femur. It is placed in the hip socket. Many tendons of hip muscles are attached to the greater trochanter. Inflammation of these tendons can cause pain especially when you lie on that side. It can occur when you are straining your hip muscles too much during gym workouts or doing strenuous activities.
- Bursitis: Every joint is the body has bursa. They are small sacs filled fluid and they help easy movement of tendons and provide cushion in the joint while movement. Bursitis is inflammation of the bursa. If you are having hip bursitis, you may experience pain at night while sleeping on the affected side. One remarkable thing is bursitis does not produce pain in hip while standing.
- Osteoarthritis of hip: Any form of arthritis, but more commonly osteoarthritis of hip can produce pain in hip.
- Pregnancy: Many pregnant women cannot sleep on one side because of pain. This is due to extra pressure put on spine and side of hip.
Home Remedies For Hip Pain While Sleeping
Pain in hip joint must not be neglected as it acts as a major supporting joint for the body. If you are suffering from hip joint while sleeping on one side, first ensure that your sleeping position is correct. Look out your mattress if it is too soft or too hard. Sleep on mattress that is not too soft or too hard. Memory foam mattress is useful as it supports your body while sleeping. While sleeping, keep a pillow between your knees so that the hip is properly aligned.
Secondly consult a physical therapist. He will be able to recommend certain exercises that will be beneficial in supporting your hip joint when you are asleep. Stop smoking as it helps to reduce pain in hip. Regular massage on hip area is beneficial for reducing long standing hip pain. Sleep on the side that is not painful if you have got the habit of sleeping on one side. Alternately sleep on your back.