Various epidemiological studies have indicated that certain types of cancer, especially breast cancer among women, are closely linked with elevated levels of estrogen. Lifestyle and dietary modifications play a crucial role in controlling the levels of estrogen in the body, which in turn can have several beneficial advantages.
Foods That Lower Estrogen Levels Naturally
There are certain foods that can help in reducing the level of estrogen and reduce the detrimental impact of elevated levels of estrogen on the body. Here are some simple dietary recommendations,
- Increase the intake of fresh fruits and vegetables along with whole grain products. These foods are high in fiber content which binds with estrogen and removes excess of the hormone
- Eliminate sugar from your diet. Sugar tends to raise the level of estrogen in the body. Alternatively preferring natural sweeteners instead of artificial sweeteners can also be beneficial
- Reduce alcohol consumption as alcohol increases the levels of estrogen and is also related with other health problems
- Flax seeds have been found to lower estrogen levels. Two table spoon of grounded flax seeds are adequate to lower estrogen levels
Foods To Lower Estrogen Levels In Women
Elevated levels of estrogen are associated with breast, ovarian and uterine cancers in women.Further elevated levels of estrogen may result in other endocrinal problems like ovarian cysts and fibroids. There are certain foods that contain phytoestrogens, which also tend to increase the estrogen levels in the body. The following foods need to be avoided,
- French beans, garlic, soyabean, chick peas, etc are high in estrogen and should be avoided
- Carrots, squash, raspberry, cow pea, green peas, alfalfa, etc also contain phytoestrogens and should be avoided
- Herbs like milk thistle, red clove, licorice, ginseng, fenugreek, etc also have estrogenic activity and should be avoided.
Avoid processed foods, oily and spicy foods, etc and increase the intake of fresh vegetables, fresh fruits and dairy products.
Foods To Reduce Estrogen In Men
Elevated levels of estrogen compared to testosterone in men can result in increased risk of cardiovascular disorders, inhibition of pituitary functions and decreased sexuality. Here are some simple foods that can reduce estrogen levels in men,
- Including zinc supplement in the diet can help reduce estrogen levels in men. Zinc inhibits enzyme aromatase, which converts testosterone into estrogen. Intake of zinc along with copper supplements can reduce estrogen levels
- Green leafy vegetables like cauliflower and broccoli help burn off of excess estrogen and help in reducing levels of estrogen
- Certain fruits tend to interfere with the livers ability to break down estrogen, which in turn results in elevated levels of estrogen. Avoid fruits like grapefruit, cherry, apple and pomegranate.