Flushed complexion is not something new. Almost all humans sometime or the other may have experienced skin flushing. It can be described as skin redness with a feeling of warmth. Usually the skin on your face and neck becomes flushed and red. In rare cases the upper trunk and abdominal skin may also become warm and red.
Skin flushing can be natural and physiological response to a stimulus such as stress, fear, eating too much spicy, or it can be a manifestation of an underlying disease condition. Many people dislike flushed complexion as people may mistakenly think it to be an emotional response.
Skin flushing in majority of cases is transient, but may recur from time to time. Besides some physiological reasons you need to know and treat the underlying medical cause of frequent skin flushing.
Causes Of Flushed Complexion
Basically skin flushing occurs as a result of dilatation of capillaries due to increase in blood flow. Capillaries are tiny thin blood vessels underneath the skin. They supply blood and oxygen the skin. When the blood flow increases in the capillaries due to several reasons, it dilates.
Below are some important causes that may trigger skin flushing or blushing.
- Your face may become red and warm if you are emotionally disturbed. Fear, anxiety, anger, stress, can cause increased blood flow in the body. It occurs as the body releases adrenaline which in turn increases heart rate and increase blood flow in the blood vessels.
- Eating spicy food can also make your face, neck and upper trunk red and warm. Spices can influence metabolism. Body responses it by increasing blood flow. Thus many people may experience flushed face after eating cayenne, chili pepper, red pepper, etc.
- Rosacea is a medical skin condition known for its peculiar redness on face. This condition is characterized by marked redness on face and nose, swelling and acne. The exact cause of rosacea is not known but it is believed that stress, spicy food, alcohol, hot temperature can be the cause.
- Alcohol can cause flushed complexion. Alcohol dilates the capillaries if taken in excess which leads to red and warm skin; especially as the facial skin is delicate it is more noticed on face. People who take alcohol daily may develop flushed face for a long period of time.
- Transient flushing can also occur after rigorous exercise or doing strenuous work.
- Flushed complexion is also caused due to rise in body temperature. Flushed face is a common symptom with high fever.
- Extreme environmental temperature either hot or cold can cause flushing.
- Flushed complexion can also develop after overdose of Niacin (vitamin B-3).
Home Remedies For Flushed Complexion
Flushed complexion in most of the cases is not caused due to serious disease. But sometimes medical conditions can cause skin flushing. Keeping a record and knowing the triggers that are responsible for flushing will help to prevent further episodes.
Here are some important steps that can help to reduce frequent flushing.
- Since stress, anger, fright etc are some of the emotional factors to cause facial flushing, try to control them. Meditation, yoga, will help to relieve stress.
- Avoid alcohol intake or limit its consumption as too much of alcohol in body is prone to cause skin flushing.
- Avoid exposure to extreme temperature either cold or hot.
- Avoid eating too much of spicy food.