Dopamine is a natural chemical present in brain. It plays a role of neurotransmitter in the brain. It is important hormone that is responsible for motivation in human beings. Its release gives feel good sensation to human being. Reward motivated behavior increase the level of dopamine.
However, on the other side deficiency of dopamine can cause several types of disruptive feelings such as fatigue, moody behavior, lack of concentration, joyless, and hopelessness, lack of remorse of his action.
Dopamine deficiency can be caused due to variety of causes which prominently includes stress, alcohol withdrawal, lack of sleep, amino acid deficiency, use of street drugs etc.You can stimulate dopamine production by several activities such as playing sports, finishing a project, learning something new etc. Tyrosin rich foods such as almonds, legumes, turmeric, are some of the foods that also increase dopamine secretion.
Signs And Symptoms Of Dopamine Deficiency
Dopamine deficiency reduces excitement and enjoyment of life. Patient becomes emotionless. Here are some basic symptoms that indicate dopamine deficiency.
- Lack of interest in life.
- Feeling fatigue all the time.
- Lack of motivation.
- Frequent mood swings.
- Excessive craving for sugar, coffee, tea,
- Cannot handle stress.
- Feeling guilty and hopeless.
- Self destructive behavior.
- Lack of concentration.
- Extreme depression.
- Parkinson’s disease.
- Less eye contact.
- Feels weak and depressed on waking up in morning.
- No feeling of love and attachment.
- Distracted mind.
- Loss of pleasure sensation.
- Unable to lose weight.
- Feeling boredom all the time.
- Does not like to do physical activity.
- Loss of sexual drive.
- Less interest in relationship.
- Becomes cruel.
- Restless leg syndrome causing pins and needles in leg.
What Causes Deficiency Of Dopamine?
Dopamine deficiency occurs due to several factors.
- Stress: Stress has significant association with dopamine deficiency. People with acute stress have reduced secretion of dopamine hormone in their body.
- Nutrition: Eating unhealthy food reduces secretion of dopamine. Eating too much sugary food, drinking excessive coffee and tea or drinking alcohol can cause dopamine deficiency.
- Alcohol withdrawal: Sudden withdrawal of alcohol in a person who is addicted to alcohol results in low dopamine level in brain. Alcohol use for long time depletes dopamine producing brain cells. To feel pleasure in life these persons have to drink alcohol. Stoppage of alcohol can cause alcohol withdrawal symptoms.
- Obesity: Obesity increases risk of low dopamine level in the body. It is because of few dopamine receptors.
- Diseases such as Parkinson’s disease cause destruction of brain cells that synthesize dopamine.
- Street drugs are toxic chemicals. They can destroy brain cells that produce dopamine leading to its deficiency.
- Insomnia, deficiency of amino acid tyrosine, lead and arsenic poisoning, deficiency of magnesium, vitamin B6, and vitamin D all can trigger deficiency of dopamine hormone.
Treatment Options For Dopamine Deficiency
Dopamine level in body can be raised in several ways. Conventional drugs and medicines or supplements are able to lift dopamine level. Change in diet and lifestyle also helps to uplift low dopamine level.
- Foods: Eating certain foods daily will help in producing dopamine needed by the brain. Bananas, almonds, chocolate, fish, eggs, apples, strawberries, contain substances such as amino acids tyrosine, vitamin C, antioxidants that are helpful in elevating the level of dopamine.
- Change in life style: Patient suffering from dopamine deficiency should exercise daily, reduce his stress, and eat foods that contain vitamin B6, C, and E. Increase in sexual activity is one of the best way to raise the level of dopamine in the body.
Medications are prescribed by physicians to elevate dopamine level in the body. It depends on the disease that is responsible for low level of dopamine. Anti depressants in case of depression, anti Parkinson’s medicine in case of patient suffering from Parkinson’s disease can elevate dopamine level.