Chicory is a perennial herbaceous plant used as herbal medication as well as culinary use. The roots can also be roasted and ground to be used as a healthy substitute for coffee beans.
The roots of the chicory plant have plenty of uses. These have been known to provide cure for various ailments, something that has been recognized even in the modern world.
Health Benefits Of Chicory Root
Roots of the chicory plant have many uses and health benefits. Some of them are:
- The roots of this herbal plant can be used as substitute for coffee beans, providing people with a healthier coffee drink.
- Boiled roots may also be used as additive to coffee or tea, to increase bitterness.
- The roots are also used as probiotic agents and as a sedative.
- Other ailments that can be alleviated or healed by the roots of chicory include:
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Loss of appetite
Chicory Root And Extract Side Effects
The side effects of the roots of chikory include:
- Skin diseases and ailments such as hives, rashes, itching, skin irritation, and contact dermatitis.
- In pregnant women, the roots and extracts can actually cause an abortion. Thus, this is also used as a contraceptive.
- The roots of the chicory plant can also cause problems in people with gallbladder diseases.
Side Effects Of Chicory Root Extract
The extracts of the chicory root can cause the following side effects:
- In some women, the root extracts also cause untimely menstruation.
- Those who are breastfeeding should stay away from drinking medications or coffee laced with the root extracts. The extracts may pass through the breast milk to the child.
- It is also important to note that the root extracts are as potent as the roots. Thus, even the water used for boiling the roots could have a lot of chemicals that could cause the side effects.