Having faster metabolism helps to burn away calories, most people want the same. However, as we age metabolic activity in the body slows down. Usually after the age of 40 the metabolic activity reduces. But this may vary from person to person. With growing age after 40 the muscle mass tends to decrease and in contrast fat mass increases. This means the body loses its efficiency to burn calories as it used to do during young age.
But on a brighter side it is not difficult to beat an aging metabolism to look and feel as your best.The only thing that you need to do is to choose right food which helps to keep you energized throughout the day. Regular exercise also helps to slow down the aging metabolism. Especially weight bearing exercises help to boost the metabolism.
What Causes Metabolism To Slow Down With Age?
Many studies done by researchers have revealed the reason why people gain weight as they age. It is something to do with the composition of body that is involved in decline of metabolism. Besides the composition of body mass, there are other factors that may play role in aging metabolism.For example the vital organs that use calories during younger age tend to decrease utilization of energy as the person grows older.
Physical activity also is an important factor in overall metabolic activity with growing age. As the person ages his physical activity starts to decline. This further reduces consumption of energy. Since there is less activity the muscle work less thus muscle mass reduces.
The mystery is further unraveled with an insight on response of body and muscles to insulin. This hormone is involved in regulating blood sugar level in the body. Insulin resistance is common malady as a person ages. The fat that usually is stored in the fat cells is rather stored in the muscles and liver. All this derangement leads to decline in metabolism as a person starts aging.
How To Increase Metabolism As You Get Older?
Although with growing age there is risk of decline in metabolism, you can take many steps to prevent it. At the same time you can boost it so that you remain fully energized all through the day. Eating right, maintaining healthy lifestyle, and exercising regularly play an important role to keep you fit and revved up.
- Eat all the three essential nutrients in balance that comprise of fat, protein and carbohydrate.
- Eat snacks between the mealtimes. It helps to reduce hunger and boosts metabolism. Eating snacks also keeps the blood sugar level under control.
- Always eat a healthy breakfast to increase the metabolism after a good night sleep. Eat a breakfast comprising at least one portion of protein. Protein is necessary for maintaining muscle mass of the body.
- Keep your body well hydrated by drinking at least 7 to 8 glasses of water in a day. Avoid drinking juices as it may unnecessarily add some weight. Drinking water also aides in digestion of food. It reduces risk of constipation.
- Eat beans regularly as they contain fibers and protein. Both burn lots of calories.
- Green tea is useful to increase your metabolic activity. Drink one or two cups of green tea in a day.
- Reduce your mental stress as it encourages release of cortisol hormone which is responsible for fluctuation of insulin hormone.
- Eat foods that are rich source of iron.
- Follow regular exercise schedule for burning extra calories and improving body metabolism.