What Causes Anemia
Reduction in levels of hemoglobin is called anemia. It is very common in under developed and developing countries. The most common cause for anemia is under-nourishment. The diet required to replenish stores is usually not taken. Second most common cause is loss of blood e.g. during menstruation, injury and bleeding piles. Third cause of anemia is worm infestation (hookworm, pin worm, roundworm and tape worm). These worms feed on supply of blood and vitamins we take. Other causes like defects in bone marrow etc. will not be discussed here.
Foods to increase Hemoglobin
To increase hemoglobin level, the diet is the most important thing. A modified diet rich in vitamin B12, folate and iron is essential for the rapid rise in hemoglobin level.
Folate is commonly present in liver, kidney, spinach, cabbage, yeast, nuts and fruits. Vitamin B12 is exclusively present in foods of animal origin. Meat, liver, eggs, dairy products contain adequate amount of the vitamin B12. Vegetable sources do not contain vitamin B12.
Iron is present in red meat, liver, egg yolk, green leafy vegetables, dry fruits, jaggery, brown bread, unpolished rice.
Other foods which can help are bananas, black grapes, plums, strawberries, raisins, carrots, radish, celery, tomatoes, beets, almonds, soyabeans, fenugreek seeds etc.
How to Increase Hemoglobin
- All the above foods, rich in vitamin B12, folate and iron if consumed adequately will help in increasing hemoglobin.
- A diet for replenishing blood should be included in your menu.
- One teaspoon fresh juice of coriander can be taken with one teaspoon of honey.
- One teaspoon of fenugreek seeds or leaves cooked with rice and eaten regularly for 10 to 15 days shows remarkable rise in hemoglobin.
- One teaspoon of black sesame seeds should be soaked in warm water, then crushed and strained. It is to be mixed with a cup of milk sweetened with jaggery. This makes a good drink for quick rise in hemoglobin.
- Almonds also can be useful to increase hemoglobin. Five almonds, soaked in water overnight and then grounded to make a paste, which should be taken once daily in the morning.