Fasting Therapy relieves the body from the task of digesting foods and it facilitates healing the system while ridding it off toxins. It is quite effective in conditions like arthritis, allergies, headaches and hypertension.
For people who are in a hurry to lose weight prolonged fasting is an effective way. Earlier methods promoted loss of body fat along with body proteins and muscle tissues. Modified fasts however allow intake of proteins and eliminate undesirable side effects.
To alleviate diseases like asthma, arthritis, depression, eczema, and irritable bowel syndrome and to detoxify the body from built-up toxins, shorter periods of therapeutic medicines are recommended.
A gradual weight-loss program combined with right eating habits is quite effective for dangerously obese people. Some fasts have produced encouraging results in people suffering from arthritis. They had better grip, strength, fewer swollen, tender joints and less pain.
Therapeutic Fasting For Weight Loss
They are strictly recommended for people who are dangerously overweight and not for people who have gained just a few pounds.
- Version I – According to this, a man should consume 100 grams of high quality protein like fish, fowl and meat, and a woman should consume about 75 grams daily. Multi-vitamin tablet and extra calcium and potassium should also be supplemented.
- Version II – Here meat and vitamins are replaced with a premixed-formula rich in milk or egg protein that provide 50 to 70 grams of protein, 40 milligrams of carbohydrates and a little fat.
Both the treatments last for several months and provide less than 600 calories a day.
Juice Fasting Therapy For Detoxification
A three day fast supplemented with fruit and vegetable juices is quite common. A day before the fast you are instructed to eat light meals and during the fast you are expected to drink freshly squeezed 3 to 4 eight-ounce glasses of juice, combined with lots of rest. Coffee, soft drinks and rigorous exercising are to be avoided.
As the fast progresses metabolic rate decreases with fall in body temperature (remember to wear extra clothes), breathing rate, pulse and B.P. will also slow down. You may lose 3 to5 pounds on the first day of the fast, due to water loss.
Who Should Avoid Fasting Therapy?
- Pregnant and nursing mothers; people with advanced cancer, lung, liver, kidney, heart diseases and those suffering from diabetes and ulcers should avoid this regime.
- All children should be kept away from fasts as it may affect their memory.
- People on prescription medication should consult their doctor.
- Except the seriously obese, all should avoid the prolonged modified-fasts.
Side Effects Of Fasting Therapy
In the 1970′s a lot of people suffered from fatal heart disturbances and a number of sudden deaths occurred due to a liquid-protein-diet-product that caused protein and mineral deficiencies. Potassium deficiency can cause severe irregularities in the heart rhythm.
When the body is deprived of carbohydrates, elimination of uric acid is interfered, salt and water depletion can cause lightheadedness, dizziness, other potential side effects including dry skin, constipation, menstrual irregularities, fatigue and headache.