Colonic irrigation is gentle technique of cleansing colon by flushing warm water into the anus under low pressure. When fecal matter builds up and stagnates it produces toxic substances, which can be absorbed by the blood stream and cause negative effect on vital organs like lungs, kidneys and thyroid glands.
The therapy is used to remove built-up toxins from the colon and intestinal tract. It is considered an important way of preventing illness and maintaining general health.
Before the use of antibiotics, arthritis, heart disease, depression, high B.P etc were treated through cleansing the bowels.Mainstream medicine has however rejected it because carelessness in administration can lead to perforation of intestine which may be life threatening for the person.
Procedure For Colonic Cleansing
Firstly you may be instructed to take an enema. You will be made to lie on a treatment table and then a 5-1/2 inch rigid tube is inserted into the rectum, which is attached to a plastic hose, connected to colon irrigation machine. The device fills the colon with warm purified water (to increase benefits herbs may be added to the water).
The muscles of the colon contract and relax forcing gas, mucus and fecal matter through an evacuation tube that leads back to the machine.The procedure can be repeated only after 20 to 30 gallons of water have been flushed through the bowel.
The day before the therapy you may be asked to eat light meals and on the treatment day you will forbidden to eat anything. To restore bacterial balance, acidophilus maybe inserted into the rectum.
- Treatment Time – 30 to 50 minutes.
- Treatment Frequency – 4 to 8 sessions or treatments once every 3 to 6 months.
Health Benefits Of Colonic Irrigation
Benefits of colon cleansing or irrigation include:
- High colonic enemas promise radiant health and rejuvenation.
- Colonic irrigation helps to relieve constipation. One of the important benefits of colonic irrigation in comparison with laxatives is that it does not make the intestine lazy.
- High colonics can cure ailments ranging from asthma to cancer.
- Colonic cleansing, cleans the blood of toxins, restores regular bowel movements, immune system returns to normal and body becomes healthy.
- It helps to resolve chronic skin conditions such as psoriasis, eczema etc.
- Eating too much of acidic food, fast food, packaged food can cause deterioration of digestive system. Such foods keep the body system more acidic. However, regular colonic irrigation keeps the body alkaline. The person with more alkalinity feels vibrant and energetic.
- The therapy is also used before and after some surgeries, or before barium X ray procedure and to collect sample of stool.
However mainstream medical practitioners feel that a high-fiber diet with sufficient fluid intake can solve this problem when it occurs.
People suffering from tumors of the large intestine or rectum, hemorrhoids, diverticulitis, ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease should completely avoid this.
Side Effects Of Colonic Irrigation
- Most dangerous side effect is perforation of the colon by a nozzle.
- Others include imbalance of enzymes, general weakness, bowel can be stretched to such an extent that it may not function properly.
- Overuse of laxatives and enemas can damage colon.