What Causes Blocked Nose
Chronic blocked nose or nasal canal congestion and sinus symptoms are usually seen in allergic rhinitis and in some cases in nasal polyps. Nasal polyps are fleshy growths that develop in the mucus-secreting lining of the nose. They are more common in those with asthma or rhinitis. Although they rarely develop in children, they sometimes occur in those who have inherited cystic fibrosis. Nasal polyps are always benign.
Even as the worst factors may be grass pollen and Ragweed but those sensitive to animal dander or feathers and dust or smoke may suffer regularly.
Blocked Nose Remedies
- Avoid all irritants and eat green leafy vegetables and high fiber diet. Adhere to low fat, low sugar diet which helps relieve allergic condition in many.
- Do not eat watermelons and mangoes during pollen season. Do not consume soft drinks, coffee, tobacco, chocolate, cake, diary products etc. and also avoid processed, white-flour, sugary, fatty or junk foods.
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages, anger and resentment can aggravate the condition and negative thoughts and stressful situations may enhance the symptoms.
Home Remedies for Nasal Congestion
- Grape-seed extract contains PCO, a powerful bioflavonoid which has a strong anti-allergic action. It strengthens cell membranes of basophiles and mast cells, which contains the allergic chemicals, thus preventing over-reactions to pollens.
- During hay fever season, drink 1 or 2 glasses of red clove or fenugreek powder mixed in warm water daily. You can also take two capsules of freeze-dried nettle.
- Mix one handful each of blessed thistle tansy and buckbean and also add 5 teaspoons each of gentian root and bitter orange peel. Simmer for 10 minutes in one liter of water and let it cool. Strain the liquid and store it in bottle and take one tablespoon with a glass of water after the meals.
- Mullein leaf provides mucilaginous protection to mucous surfaces, thus inhibiting the absorption of allergens through those membranes.
- Horehound directly affects the respiration by dilating vessels and acting as a serotonin antagonist and this way, it helps alleviate any respiratory distress that occurs.