Heart disease in modern times has reached an epidemic proportion. More people die each year from heart related diseases than from any other cause. Heart diseases are called cardiovascular diseases and they include arteriosclerosis (hardening of arteries), heart attack (myocardial infarction), arrhythmia, hypertension etc. Suffering from heart ailment can lead to shortened life expectancy, missed work time and overall debility.
There is an effective therapy which is known to prevent and reverse the effects of heart diseases. This procedure is called chelation therapy. It reduces arterial plaque and lesions and at the same time it makes the hardened arteries more elastic.The therapy brings overall improvement of blood circulation in the coronary arteries.
In chelation therapy EDTA (ethylene diamine tetraacetic acid) a synthetic amino acid is introduced intravenously into the bloodstream. This agent binds or “chelates” with certain minerals and substances that are present in the bloodstream and in the walls of blood vessels. The waste is then thrown out through urine.
Calcium is the most important mineral targeted by EDTA chelation therapy. Because of its irregular metabolism and overabundance of calcium which plays a major role in spasms and constriction of the arteries.Calcium is one of the components of plaque formation in coronary arteries and plaque is the culprit for heart attacks. By removing unwanted calcium from the bloodstream and from the plaque, this therapy improves blood circulation in coronary disorders and also reverses its effect.
Chelation Therapy Benefits For Heart Disease
Aside from its effect on coronary artery blockage, chelation therapy is also used for various other purposes.
- It binds with some metals such as lead in the bloodstream. Therefore it is beneficial in lead poisoning.
- Poor circulation of blood leads to gangrene especially in extremities, fingers and toes. It can also cause cramps in legs and calf muscles. Chelation therapy is beneficial in such cases.
- In arthritis, especially rheumatoid arthritis, chelation therapy has shown in to be effective in relieving its symptoms.
- It normalizes the production of mucopolysaccharide, it is a complex of protein and sugar which when disrupted causes disorders of connective tissue and joints.
- It is also found effective in skin conditions such as psoriasis, endocrine disorders such as thyroid problems, and degenerative diseases such as Parkinson’s disease.
- Diabetes: Many researchers have suggested that insulin requirement has decreased after EDTA therapy in diabetics.
- Stroke: Since chelation therapy removes all wastes from the blocked arteries, it is also beneficial in controlling hypertension. Hypertension is one of the causes of stroke, thus it is beneficial in preventing stroke attack apart from coronary artery blockages.
Chelation Therapy Procedure
A chemical solution called EDTA is inserted into vein at the back of the hand via an IV needle.
During the treatment the patient relaxes in bed. If heavy metal poisoning is suspected, hair may be sent to laboratory. During and after the therapy vital signs such as pulse, blood pressure, temperature etc are monitored. In some cases, even heart function is monitored.
It takes 2 to 3 hours for the whole treatment to get completed. The treatment period required may depend on the disease but in general it may take 20 to 50 sittings.
Benefits And Side Effects Of Chelation Therapy
- EDTA chelation therapy is much cheaper in preventing coronary artery diseases as compared to standard treatment of heart blockage such as angioplasty and coronary bypass surgery.
- The binding property of chelation therapy is useful as the offending agent is easily passed from the urine bound with EDTA.
- The therapy is contraindicated in patients suffering from brain tumor, liver and renal damage. It is also contraindicated in pregnant women, unless some heavy metal poisoning warrants it.
Side Effects: Overall, chelation therapy is found to be safe. However, as with any therapies patient should consult their physician before taking chelation therapy. An individual having impaired kidney function should also consult his doctor before starting the therapy. Other rare side effects include bone marrow depression, irregularity in heartbeats, low blood pressure etc.