To feel anxious is to feel worried, and nervous in its intense form. Anxiety can manifest with number of symptoms such as trembling, twitching, restless and breathlessness with increased heart rate. Caffeine can increase the state of anxiety and cause many symptoms such as increase of heart rate, insomnia, and muscle tension etc for those who don’t normally feel anxious, and for those who are anxious caffeine can exacerbate the symptoms of anxiety.
Caffeine And Anxiety
- Caffeine is an alkaloid found in coffee, tea and energy drinks. Caffeine is a central nervous stimulator, with its consumption; adrenaline is released from adrenaline gland which causes spike in the energy level.
- Caffeine can increase anxiety disorder. This is a general view among scientific community.
- Effects of caffeine on health: Caffeine can increase heart rate and lead to panic anxiety state.
Too Much Caffeine And Anxiety Symptoms
A person addicted to caffeine may have worsened anxiety symptoms such as jitters, headache, nervousness, fatigue and breathlessness. Poor concentration, irritability, and agitation are other observed symptoms of anxiety related to caffeine intake.
- An excessive consumption of caffeinated beverages (tea, coffee) can be over-stimulating. They cause symptoms such as, nervousness, anxiety, insomnia, and irritability.
- Caffeine triggers anxiety attacks in an individual by raising the lactic acid (the final product of glucose breakdown, when there is a lack of oxygen) levels in the blood.
People with anxiety disorder should avoid caffeine products. If there is no previous history of anxiety and if you exhibit it after consuming caffeinated drinks, it is better to stop drinking the caffeinated product such as coffee, colas etc or at lest reduce it.