Research says that sulfites present in wine lead to the development of allergic symptoms and manifestations.
Histamines present in the skin of grapes may also lead to allergy, since; histamine is a very common cause of allergy in most people.
Wine Allergy Symptoms
The following symptoms may be seen in wine allergy:
- Nose block, asthma like wheezing, nasal discharge
- Rashes on the skin
- Swelling of the lips, mouth, throat
- Abdominal discomfort and pain
Allergic Reactions To Wine
- Certain ingredients used to prepare / store the wine could also trigger an allergic reaction.
- The wooden barrels in which the wine is stored could also be an activating cause.
Wine Allergy Treatment
- Vitamin C or ascorbic acid helps improve the symptoms of allergy appreciably, chiefly, fever and asthma, because of it’s capability to offset the inflammation and also reinforcing the immune mechanism. Vitamin C also checks the development of anaphylaxis.
- Next, it is important to address the cause rather than treat the manifestations. Avoid consuming wine if you develop the symptoms always. Also it is vital to purge out the allergens from the body.
- Drink plenty of water to flush out toxins and allergens effectively.
- Anti-histamines may be prescribed by the doctor to bring the various symptoms under control, especially, the body rash, nasal block and discharge and asthma.
Your physician may also prescribe nasal drops or corticosteroids to handle the allergy effectively.