Symptoms Of Tannin Allergy And Sensitivity | Treatment For Allergies

Tannin is an ingredient which is found in drinks, namely tea, coffee and red wine and is associated with allergic reaction. Tannin is an acid and the allergic symptoms associated with it can range from mild to severe life threatening situation. Immediate medical attention is required for efficient tannin allergy treatment

Tannin Allergy Symptoms

Tannin is a plant product and can result in sudden allergic reaction even in individuals that have consumed the drinks for several years without any side effects.

Mild to moderate symptoms include headache, anxiety, and jitteriness. Occasionally the condition may be associated with stomach upsets, diarrhea and gastro-intestinal distress.

The symptoms may imitate hay fever symptoms, which makes it prone to misdiagnosis.

In individuals sensitive to tannin, severe life threatening symptoms may be observed. Though these symptoms are preceded by allergy symptoms, occasionally these symptoms may develop spontaneously. The symptoms include swollen tongue, blockage of air passage, chocking sensation and difficulty in breathing.

Homeopathic Treatment For Allergies

Intolerance to tannin is attributed to over activation of the histamine defense of the body which in turn may result in swelling of the mucous membrane and soft tissue.

Prevention is the best treatment. Avoid drinks containing tannin.

In case of allergic reaction, antihistamines may be prescribed and in severe cases a physician may use atropine or other strong anti-inflammatory drugs.

Homeopathic drugs namely Bryonia Alb and Antimony Tart may be recommended in patients with severe breathlessness or respiratory symptoms. Immediate medical attention is imperative in all cases of allergy.

2 Comments

  1. Frances said:

    I’m deeply concerned as to whether I have a tannin allergy. I once had a small sip of red wine and immediately experienced symptoms similar to an impending heart attack. My brother and his son have experienced the same reaction also to red win. My doctor said it was sulphites but I’ve eaten foods containing this ingredient without any ill effects. Needless to say I never drink wine, red or white anymore, but am I allergic to tannin or sulphites? Research indicates tannin is in coffee and chocolate, both I consume daily without any problem. I’m just confused as to what to also avoid, should I consult a allergist?

    December 4, 2013
    Reply
    • PUP said:

      There are many other substances formed during the process of fermentation. For example a protein called lipid transfer protein, which is present in the skin of grapes may be an allergen. In most wine preparations the skin is included during the fermentation process. Besides certain other proteins present in grapes may also turn to be allergens. You need a specific test to find the substance which causes allergy. You have to consult an allergist.

      December 5, 2013
      Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.