Peach is the native of china and the scientific name of peach is prunus persica. Peaches were cultivated since ages. Today peaches are grown in many countries; USA grows 20% of world’s peaches.
This juicy edible fruit is a good source of vitamin A, vitamin C and fibers. Different variety of jams and juices are prepared from peach. Having said all this, some people can suffer from peach allergy.
Allergic Reaction To Peaches
Peach allergy is caused as a result of a protein present in the peach. People suffering from peach allergy are also prone to birch pollen allergy, both have the similar protein.Peach skin is considered to be more allergic than peach flesh. Cooking destroys some allergy causing proteins present in peach, thus cooked peach is well tolerated. However it will depend on person to person.
Peach Allergy Symptoms
The allergic symptoms, although rare, can be mild to severe, depending on the individual susceptibility.
- Itching in mouth and throat, tongue and lips.
- Watering of eyes.
- Runny nose.
The above symptoms are known as oral allergy syndrome.
- Itching all over the body.
- Swelling in throat and lips.
- Abdominal pain.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Anaphylaxis reaction: low blood pressure, dizziness, breathlessness and shock.
- Babies can also suffer from peach allergy. The symptoms are skin rash, itching all over the body, runny nose and diarrhea.
Treatment For Food Allergies
- Person suffering from peach allergy should avoid peach or eat cooked peach.
- Allergic symptoms are treated with anti allergic medicines.
- Read labels before purchasing any products. Avoid purchasing products containing traces of peach.