Sulphur is a chemical element found abundantly in nature. It can be found as sulfide and sulfate minerals. It is found in amino acids (protein) cysteine and methionine.
Allergic Reaction To Sulphur
Sulphur is also called sulfur. The compounds of sulphur are used in many fertilizers and pesticides. Sulphur is also found in food and vegetables in traces. It is also used in medicines for various skin and other diseases.
Some people are allergic to sulfur as their immune system considers it to be harmful to their body. This in turn gives rise to sulphur allergy symptoms.
Sulphur Allergy Symptoms
Symptoms of sulphur allergy: sulphur allergy can be mild to severe, depending upon the person’s immune response to sulphur.
Some of the symptoms sulphur allergies are
- Breathing difficulty after inhaling sulphur compound gases or ingestion of sulphur containing food.
- Skin rash and hives.
- Diarrhea and vomiting.
- Abdominal discomfort.
- Anaphylaxis: it is an emergency, the patient feels dizzy, has low blood pressure, rapid pulse, perspiration and difficult breathing with angioedema of face and eyes. Immediate treatment is necessary to revive the person from anaphylactic shock.
Foods To Avoid With Sulfa Allergy
Those who are known allergic to sulphur and its derivatives such as sulfites and sulfates should avoid food containing them. These foods are listed below:
- Pickeled onions
- Dehydrated potatoes,
- Packed sauces and gravies,
- Jellies and jams
- Pizza dough
- Canned foods such as fruit salads
- Drugs containing sulphur and its byproducts.
If you suspect sulphur allergy, your doctor may recommend you for skin prick test and blood test for sulphur allergy.
Remember an adequate diet containing protein will contain sulphur, therefore it is always advisable to consult your physician before eliminating sulphur containing food, lest you may be devoid of proteins which is again harmful to your body.