Sulfates and their derivatives are present in plenty of products that are being used by people daily. Some of these are shampoos, soaps, cleansing materials, and even in food and drugs. However, useful as these products might be, there is a small population of people who are allergic to sulfates, their derivatives, and similarly structured compounds.
Symptoms Of Sulfate Allergy
There are many different ways for sulfate allergy to be manifested. Such allergy symptoms include:
- Allergic urticaria
- Rashes and hives
- Breathing difficulties
- Haemopoietic disorders
- Hemolytic anemia
- Lyell syndrome or toxic epidermal necrolysis
- Stevens Johnson syndrome
- Hepatitis and other liver ailments
- Lung reactions such as severe asthma
There are side effects here that are fatal especially if not treated immediately.These side effects are Stevens Johnson syndrome and Lyell syndrome or toxic epidermal necrolysis.
Of course, some symptoms are commonly found in other types of allergies. Some of these are rashes and breathing difficulties. Though these are common, these should still not be disregarded.
Treatment For Allergic Reaction To Sulfate
Sulfate Allergy Test
- It is important that an allergy test is done for sulfates prior to administration of the medication. This will ensure that the patient is not allergic to the medication.
- It is important to remember that many of the side effects of sulfate allergy are irreversible and fatal. A simple test takes but a few minutes but could save the life of the patient.
- The test will also ensure that the patient is forewarned so that he/she will be able to avoid drugs, food, and products with sulfates.
Treatment For Sulfate Allergy
- Stopping the usage of the object or intake of the medication/food will stop the introduction of more sulfates in the body.
- There is no reverse treatment but the side effects should all be taken into consideration and treated as soon as possible symptomatically.
- Natural remedies are useful when the symptoms are mild. Vitamin C is useful in defending the body against free radicals; it also enhances the immune system of the body. Take vitamin C in tablet form when symptoms are mild.
- Quercitin is another herbal remedy; it is a strong flavanoid which has antioxidant properties. It reduces the inflammation and boosts the immune system. It also improves the circulation of blood in the vessels.
- Bromellain makes easy for quercetin to get absorbed.