Orange is a household fruit, consumed generally everywhere due to its immense fruity taste and aroma, besides its easy availability. Orange fruit has its origin in china, and it was introduced to western world by Columbus, today it is grown in all warm areas around the world.
Eating orange and drinking orange juice benefits your health in many ways. This citrus fruit is loaded with immense health benefits. It is a rich source of vitamin C. Orange juice quenches thirst, children as well as adult like it due to its sweet and sour taste.
Fresh orange juice is always preferred over canned version.
For some people, orange juice and orange can cause allergy symptoms. The chemical salicylate present in orange is the culprit, which gives allergic symptoms in these hypersensitive individuals.
Symptoms Of Allergy To Orange Juice
When your malfunctioning immune system considers salicylate present in orange as harmful to your body, it produces a series of allergy symptoms.
- Pain in abdomen.
- Nasal congestion.
- Angioedema of face and lips.
- Itching in throat and palate.
- Skin rash: orange juice allergy rash is common in children, it occurs around the mouth and all over the body. Itching and swelling is commonly associated with rash. The rash may be sudden or after few hours. Especially canned orange juice contains chemicals and preservatives which can cause allergic rash in severe intensity than fresh orange juice. Do not touch peels of orange if you are allergic to orange.
- Wheezing and difficult breathing.
- Anaphylaxis: it is rare, but life threatening condition.
A person suffering from orange juice allergy should avoid all salicylate containing food and medicines or consult physician before taking such products.