Oatmeal allergy is due to the protein found in oat, known as avena sativa. Oatmeal allergy is caused when there is mal function of immune system. It considers the protein in the oatmeal to be harmful to the body and releases histamine to protect it. The histamines thus produced, cause oatmeal sensitivity symptoms.
Oatmeal Allergy Symptoms
Some of the oatmeal allergy symptoms after eating oats are:
- Abdominal cramps
- Skin rash
- Tingling in mouth and swelling of lips.
- Breathing difficulty.
- In rare cases anaphylaxis reaction can occur after eating oats.
People suffering from oatmeal sensitivity also report to be allergic to wheat.
Testing for oatmeal allergy: if your doctor suspect’s oatmeal allergy, he may recommend to do following tests, such as skin prick test and blood test for oatmeal allergy.
Treatment For Oatmeal Allergy
- If you have history of oatmeal sensitivity, try to avoid the food containing oats.
- Severe symptoms of oatmeal allergy should be treated under the supervision of your doctor.
- Diarrhea and vomiting can be treated by supplementation of electrolyte drinks, yogurt, bananas, pomegranate etc. you should consult your doctor if the symptoms do not alleviate by home remedies.
- Your doctor may prescribe antihistamine if you suffer from skin rash and hives. Consult your doctor and follow his advice. Do not self medicate.