Mango Allergy Symptoms: Natural Cures For Allergic Reaction To Mango

Mango is famous for its ripe and delicious pulp that can be eaten raw. The fruit is grown in the tropical region all around the world. Mango belongs to same plant family anacardiaceae, which includes poison ivy, cashews etc. There are many varieties of mangoes grown all over the world. In United State, Tommy Atkins is the most popular of all varieties.

Allergic Reaction To Mangos

Despite so many benefits of eating mango, few people are known to suffer from mango allergy symptoms. The reason for its allergy is due to the content urushiol.

It is an irritant and oily substance present in the sap of the mango fruit. To a lesser extent it is also present in mango peel. Mango allergy commonly occurs on the skin area around the mouth, which gives severe itching and burning with swelling of lips. Though mango allergy reaction can occur in few individuals, it is the most nutritious and healthy fruit which contains immense health benefits.

The allergic reaction to mango can be soon after eating a mango or coming in contact with the sap of the fruit containing urushiol.

At times the reaction takes 12 to 24 hours to appear after an individual is exposed.

Symptoms of Mango Allergy

Mango allergy symptoms are of contact dermatitis and they appear typically around the area of your mouth where the mango has touched. Some of the symptoms of mango allergy include;

  • Itching around the mouth and on the lips.
  • Swelling of lips and tongue.
  • Small blisters appear around the mouth.
  • The skin becomes red and inflamed around the mouth.
  • Burning and tingling sensation on the tongue.
  • Dry eye.
  • Throat irritation

Systemic allergy symptoms may include

  • Pain in the abdomen.
  • Sneezing
  • Urticaria.
  • Difficulty in breathing.
  • Anaphylaxis is very rare; the protein content in the fruit can also cause the allergic reaction. In case of anaphylaxis reaction immediate treatment is necessary.

Natural Remedies For Mango Allergic Reaction

One of the best and safe remedy to prevent mango allergy, is to wash the area of your body with soap and water which has come in contact with mango sap. It will wash off urushiol, the allergic material from the area which has come in its contact. To get the result you have to act promptly to clean the area no sooner it has touched your skin.

Another thing to be remembered for the patient who is allergic to mango or other fruits having urushiol is avoid touching the fruit or its skin.

To get relief from mango allergy around the mouth, you can apply honey. You can also drink a glass of water with one teaspoon of honey dissolved in it. Honey is known for its anti inflammatory properties and it will soothe the allergic symptoms.

The herb nettle counteracts histamine produced as a result of mango allergy. It can be used as a mango allergy remedy.

5 Comments

  1. AF said:

    My lips were itching very badly the morning after eating a mango. Honey is a great tip, but I also recommend adding some peppermint extract for another anti-inflammatory kick. It has a slight numbing effect as well as a minty flavor. Swelling went down after a couple of embarrassing days.

    March 14, 2013
    Reply
  2. CT said:

    I am allergic to mango juice on my mouth. I am searching for a safe lipstick as many of them have mango peel extract in them. This makes my lip swell and itch. Does anyone have problem with lipstick?

    February 19, 2017
    Reply
    • PUP said:

      Lipstick contain many ingredients especially certain chemicals. If you are allergic to any of this substances present in lipstick you may suffer from mild to moderate allergic reaction when you come in contact with lipstick. The best way in such cases is to avoid applying lipstick.

      September 12, 2018
      Reply
  3. VK said:

    With honey how many days will it take to cure the patches completely?

    June 13, 2018
    Reply
    • PUP said:

      The anti-inflammatory properties of honey are time tested. It soothes the allergic symptoms such as tingling and burning pain when applies over the area. The healing period of honey may take some time and it may also vary from patient to patient. But usually the swelling and patches get reduced within few days after application of honey.

      August 3, 2018
      Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.