Kiwi fruit is named after the national bird of New Zealand kiwi. It is also known as Chinese gooseberry owing to its origin in China.
Kiwi fruit is rich source of vitamins, especially vitamin C, vitamin A and vitamin E.
Allergic Reaction To Kiwi Fruit
Raw kiwi fruit contains a chemical actinidin, the chemical acts as an allergen in those individuals whose immune system considers it to be harmful. This gives rise to kiwi fruit allergy symptoms and reactions.
Kiwi fruit allergy is more common in children below 5 years of age. Adults having kiwi fruit allergy manifest mild symptoms, as compared to children.
Kiwi Allergy Symptoms
- Itching in the yes
- Watery eyes
- Tingling in mouth and tongue after eating kiwi fruit
- Burning in mouth
- Swelling of lips, tongue and throat
- Skin rash
- Abdominal pain
- Difficulty in breathing
- Hoarse voice
- Anaphylaxis reaction
Test to detect kiwi allergy: skin prick test and blood test.
Kiwi Allergy Treatment
- The treatment is aimed to cure the symptoms.
- Prevent kiwi allergy by avoiding eating kiwi fruit.
- Your doctor may prescribe antihistamines if the symptoms of allergy are mild after eating kiwi fruit.
- In case of anaphylactic reaction, immediate hospitalization and emergency treatment should be sought.
Kiwi Allergies Cross Reactivity
Those who have pollen allergy and latex allergy are prone to have kiwi fruit allergy.The protein in pollen and latex is similar to kiwi fruit.
People suffering from kiwi allergy can also suffer from allergy to banana, apple, and avocado.