Flour Allergy Symptoms: White Flour Allergies Intolerance Treatment

Flour Allergies

Flour allergy is generally found in individuals who are allergic to protein present in it. Flour is made from grains, and 90% of flour is made from wheat grain.  Remaining 10% flour is comprised of oats, rey, barley etc.

We will therefore consider flour allergy symptoms related to wheat grain.

With an exception of few people, flour allergy affects those who are more exposed to it. Bakers, cooks, chefs, workers of flour mill, and housewives who regularly come in contact with flour for cooking food are more susceptible to flour allergy.

It is not only flour but end products made from grain flour are also responsible to cause allergy.

Cakes, chocolates, bread, white bread, candies, icing and various other grain flour preparations can cause allergies.

Flour Allergy Symptoms

The symptoms are immediate or in some cases there is a delayed immune response to the flour protein.

  • Itching and hives all over the body.
  • Eczema is a late manifestation of flour intolerance.
  • Asthma: this is more common in bakers, chefs and workers of flour mill. If you suffer from cough and breathlessness, followed by wheezing sound while inhaling air you should suspect of flour allergy if you are associated working in above industry.
  • Abdominal cramps after eating food prepared from grain flour.
  • Bloating of abdomen and vomiting.
  • Anaphylaxis reaction.

White wheat flour is a refined version of wheat flour; it can also give rise to similar allergy symptoms as plain wheat flour. White wheat flour is less in fiber and nutrient value compared to whole wheat flour.

Flour Intolerance Treatment

  • Eliminating food containing wheat products from diet is the best solution for wheat flour allergy.
  • Wearing mask and gloves while working in a flour mill will be beneficial.
  • Substitutes such as millet flour, flax seed meal, corn meal, quinoa flour and chia seed flour can be used in place of wheat flour.
  • For acute allergy symptoms, your doctor will give you symptomatic treatment with antihistaminic and other life saving drugs.