Broccoli allergy is relatively rare, and frequently remains undetected. The allergy is seen as skin rash, swelling of the face or difficulty in breathing. What’s more, in some cases it could be life threatening. It is, therefore, very important to learn about the causes and symptoms in order to take necessary precautions in an appropriate manner.
Allergy to broccoli develops when one comes in contact with chemicals found in the vegetable (also, important to bear in mind is the fact that, broccoli has the highest amount of sprayed on pesticides) either via the skin or it enters the body.The chemical found in broccoli is salicylates. When it enters the body, the immune mechanism discharges IgE to attack this allergen and to protect the body.
Allergy to broccoli also occurs when the immune system mistakenly sees the vegetable as a potentially injurious material. The immune mechanism forms anti bodies to the vegetable. When one consumes broccoli, the anti bodies (IgE) react and release chemicals, bringing about the symptoms of an allergy.
Symptoms Of Allergic Reaction To Broccoli
The symptoms of an allergy develop a few minutes to about 1 hour after consuming broccoli.Commonly seen symptoms are:
- Itching and / or tingling in the mouth.
- Skin rash, urticaria.
- Swelling of the lips, feet, and hands.
- Breathing difficulty and cough.
- Nasal congestion.
- Nausea, vomiting.
- Pain in the abdomen.
- A severe reaction, known as anaphylaxis may also occur. There will be constriction of the throat, gasping, and fall in the blood pressure.
- Loss of consciousness.
A detailed history is necessary to understand the allergic reaction, and helps make the appropriate diagnosis of broccoli allergy. Also, the physician may carry out a ‘prick test’ to determine the exact cause. For the test, the skin is scratched with a tiny bit of fresh broccoli and whatever reaction occurs is measured.
Relief And Treatment For Broccoli Allergy
Broccoli Allergy Relief
- In case you have consumed food that had broccoli I it, use anti histamine for localized reactions of the skin, such as, hives / urticaria.
- Application of Aloe Vera on the hives soothes the rash as well. Apply a paste frequently, every 15 minutes.
- For a systemic reaction, involving breathing difficulty, vomiting or giddiness, and drop in B.P., you need to use injectable epinephrine. Also, emergency medical attention is mandatory.
The intensity of the symptoms of the allergy depends up on the immune mechanism of the individual. You need to discuss with a doctor before embarking on any line of treatment.
Broccoli Allergy Treatment
- The chief treatment plan to manage broccoli allergy is to avoid the vegetable and any foods containing it. Avoid broccoli in all forms raw, cooked or processed; and it will prevent the occurrence of the allergy.
- Anti histamines reduce the inflammatory processes and symptoms such as, wheezing, cough, gasping and low blood pressure.
- Lotions and creams help heal the skin rashes sufficiently.
- Pro-biotics: Those who are prone to allergies should include pro-biotics in to their daily diet. Insufficient pro-biotics makes it difficult to handle allergens. Pro-biotics reinstate and balance good bacteria and aid in digestion and absorption. You may have a supplement of pro-biotics or in the form of 1 bowl of yogurt every day.
- Omega 3 fatty acids are equally beneficial in the management of a host of allergic reactions.