Remember the old adage ‘an apple a day keeps doctor away’. But unfortunately few people cannot eat apple because they are allergic to apple.
Intolerance To Apples
Apple allergy is not common. It can occur at any age but adults are more prone for apple allergy. The protein present in apple is the cause of apple allergy.
The immune system of certain hypersensitive individuals goes haywire. It believes this otherwise harmless protein, as harmful to his body. To protect the body it releases histamines, which manifest various apple allergy reactions.
Apple Allergy Reaction
A person having apple allergy can be allergic to banana, hazelnut, melon, peach and apricot.
Proteins present in birch pollen is structurally similar to apple protein, hence if you are allergic to birch pollen you should be careful or rather avoid eating apple.
Apple Allergy Symptoms
- Itching and burning sensation in upper palate, lips and around the mouth.
- Swelling of lips and tongue.
- Swelling of eyes.
- Tight feeling in throat.
- Vomiting and abdominal discomfort.
- Rash on skin. It is very common after eating apple in those who are allergic to it. Rash is accompanied with mild to moderate itching.
- In some cases a person may have raised body temperature.
The two test 1. Skin prick test and 2.Blood tests are normally conducted to diagnose apple allergy.
Apple Allergy Treatment
- If you are having past history of apple allergy, it is better to avoid eating apple. For that matter you should also avoid banana, hazelnut, peach and apricot as the protein of these fruit are structurally similar.
- In mild cases your doctor may prescribe antihistamines.
- For skin rash and itching, ice water fomentation is effective.
- It is observed in few individuals that they do not develop apple allergy, if they eat cooked apple. It may be due to the protein present in apple, which gets destroyed after cooking.