Amoxicillin is a common anti-biotic belonging to the penicillin family of medicines. It fights bacterial ear infections, bladder infections, pneumonia and a few sexually transmitted diseases.
Amoxicillin Allergy Symptoms
- Rash / development of blotches and hives
- Some people experience gasping and breathlessness.
- Amoxicillin allergy also manifests as swelling of the face, lips, tongue, throat and eyelids.
- Seizures, high grade fever, blistering of the skin are signs of a severe allergic reaction to Amoxicillin.
- Anaphylactic shock is a life threatening situation that may develop due to amoxicillin. It necessitates instant medical attention. The person develops suffocation, choking, and swelling of the trachea and throat, fainting, dropping of the blood pressure and unconsciousness.
Treatment For Allergic Reaction To Amoxicillin
- First and foremost stop taking the drug if develop allergy symptoms.
- Discuss with your doctor immediately. It is essential that your doctor is told of the allergy and he will prescribe a different anti-biotic to treat your infection.
- Over-the-counter anti-histamines are advocated to halt the allergy. Use the anti-histamine as directed by the physician. He may also recommend certain corticosteroids to stop the various symptoms of the allergy.
- Immediate medical aid is vital if you exhibit indications of an anaphylactic attack. Call the emergency number / head to the emergency room of the closest hospital.
Testing for reaction to amoxicillin is always recommended. A skin test helps you identify whether you are allergic to the drug or not.