Many people are allergic to dander, especially dander of the pet animals having close contact to human beings. Dander includes the shed skin and hair of animals. The allergic reaction can be mild to moderate or severe when you are suffering from dander allergy.
The shed skin is very light weight and it can stay in air for hours. The sebaceous glands of the hair roots of cats and urine of male cat are other sources of dander.
All people are not allergic to animal dander; it is those few hypersensitive individuals whose immune system recognizes dander protein as harmful to the body.
Dander Allergy Symptoms
Since dander is airborne most significant allergy symptoms are of respiratory tract such as:
- Running nose.
- Sore throat and itching in the soft palate.
- Asthmatic attack.
Symptoms Of Pet Dander Allergy
Skin allergy: at times apart from respiratory allergy, a person can present with skin symptoms due to dander allergy such as:
- Swollen and red eye.
Some other symptoms of dander allergy are: muscle pain, dizziness, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea etc.
Few people can suffer from anaphylactic shock due to dander allergy. The condition is serious and life threatening, immediate medical attention is necessary if such as situation arises.
Dander Allergy Remedies
- Avoid contact with animals and avoid keeping pets at home.
- If you have symptoms of dander allergy, antihistaminic drugs are useful.
- Asthma and various other manifestations require consultation of medical professional.
- Clean the pets regularly with shampoo and conditioner; it reduces dander to 50%.
- Air filter should be used while vacuuming carpets and furniture.
- Use gloves while washing your pets.