An allergic reaction occurs when your body is sensitive to some substance that you eat, touch or even inhale. The substance to which you are allergic is called an allergen. Allergy in majority of cases manifests its symptoms on skin and mucus membrane. The symptoms of allergy can develop on any part of skin including face.
Allergy reaction on face mostly presents as itchy skin rash. Although the condition is not life threatening it can be a cause of discomfort and embarrassment since the reaction is on face. There are several reasons involved for it which include cosmetics, soaps and shampoos, exposure to sun, insect bite etc.Facial allergy is often a type of contact allergy. Treatment consists of avoiding the allergic product, applying aloe vera gel, cold compression etc.
What Causes Allergic Reaction On Face?
Facial allergy is caused due to several reasons.
- Animal and insect bites can lead to allergy on face. The toxin released from the bite can cause allergic reaction on facial skin. A mosquito bite can also cause allergy on face.
- Many people suffer from skin rash on face from animal products such as animal saliva, dander, and skin cells. When these products come in contact with a person who is hypersensitive to such products suffer from this type of allergy.
- Seasonal change is one possibility for allergic reaction on skin. Usually this type of allergy is caused due to pollen allergy. The saturation of pollen is more during spring months. When a hypersensitive person comes in contact with pollen released in air, it can cause skin rashes as well as sneezing, burning of eyes, itching on face and nose etc.
- Facial allergic reaction is also common with use of cosmetic products, hair dye, soaps and shampoos, shaving cream, perfumes and aftershave deodorants, etc. The chemicals present in these products can cause allergic reaction on face. It is a type of contact allergy.
- Food and medicine allergy commonly presents with allergic rash on face. It can lead to swelling of lips, and around the orbits. The face may turn red and flushed. Severe form of reaction can cause swelling in the throat. Patient finds difficulty in eating and swallowing if there is swelling inside the throat.
Natural Ways To Get Rid Of Allergic Reaction On Face
Allergic reaction on face can be treated with conventional anti allergic medicines as well as home remedies. Many people prefer natural remedies because they have no side effects and they are effective.
- Avoid all the offending substances that are responsible for producing allergy on face. For example patient must quit applying cosmetics if that is the cause.
- Cold compression over the face with a cotton ball will help to alleviate itching and burning sensation. It will also reduce swelling on lips and around the eyes.
- Aloe vera gel is time tested home remedy for alleviating symptoms of skin allergy, even on face. Apply the gel over the affected part twice daily. Aloe soothes the skin and reduces inflammation within hours of its application.
- Mint leaves reduce swelling and burning sensation which is common in allergic reaction on face. Take few mint leaves and prepare a paste by crushing these leaves. Apply it on the face.
- Rose water and sandalwood paste are effective natural remedy for skin rash on face. Prepare paste by mixing rose water and sandalwood powder. Apply it on face. Allow it to dry for an hour and wash it with tap water.