Traditional oriental medicine believes that pain and illness are caused due to interruption in the flow of energy through the body. Acupressure therapy is aimed at restoring the normal balance and flow of energy through the body. By stimulating acupressure points in the body, the flow can be regulated and the pain can be relieved.
Headaches are classified in to different categories, depending upon the cause of the headache. Tension headaches are attributed to rigid contraction of the muscles of the scalp. Migraine headaches are caused due to sinusitis, which may be associated with severe congestion of the nasal sinuses.
Irrespective of the cause of headache, acupressure therapy is considered effective in the management of these conditions.
Acupressure Points For Headache Relief
Here are some acupressure points that are beneficial in the management of headaches,
- Referred to as the ‘Hoku Point’, this point is located along the posterior aspect of the hand, at the junction of the index finger and the thumb. In order to identify the point, bring the thumb and the index finger together, and you will observe a small bulge at the spot. Now, gently apply pressure at the point, with the thumb of the other hand on the posterior aspect of the point and index finger on the palm side of the hand. Continuously apply pressure at the site for about a minute and then change hands. Don’t use this technique if you are pregnant.
- The second set of points is located at the base of the skull on either sides of the spine, about three inches away from each other. Tilt you head backwards and gently apply pressure on these points. This acupressure point can help in relieving tension headaches within a few minutes.
- Apply gentle pressure on the top of the head (i.e. at the apex of the head). This is also a point which is beneficial in management of headaches. However this point should not be used if you suffer from hypertension.
Natural Headache Remedies Pressure Points
Other pressure points that are beneficial in providing instant headache relief include,
- St3 point is located below the cheek bone, exactly below the eye. Using the index and the middle finger, apply gentle pressure in clockwise or anticlockwise direction. Stimulating this point is considered very beneficial in headaches that are associated with sinusitis.
- Apply gentle pressure on either sides of the top of the nose, where the ridge of nose meets the ridge of the eyebrows. Use your index finger and thumb to apply pressure on either sides of the nose. This point is referred to as the B2 point.
- Apply pressure on the feet in the web located between the big and the second toe. Using both the hands, apply pressure on both the feet at the same time. This point is referred to as the Lv3 point and helps in instant headache relief.
Always remember that while performing acupressure, use the right point and apply pressure using the thumb or the index finger. Begin with gentle pressure on the point and then gradually increase the pressure, depending upon the location of the point.
Don’t apply excessive pressure on points that are located on the face or other delicate areas. Breathe deeply, especially while applying pressure on these points.