It becomes a difficult task in selecting food when you suffer from acid reflux disorder, or rather food to sooth the acid reflux.
Acid reflux arises from the upward movement of stomach acid into the esophagus, giving rise to heartburn, a feeling of burning ember below the breast bone. The acid from stomach propels upwards in esophagus when the valve like structure of lower esophagus is not working efficiently to stop the upward flow.
In such situation there are two ways to get relief from this trouble, avoid food producing excess of acid in stomach and eat food items which sooth the stomach by neutralizing the acids, as food plays an important role in acid reflux disorder.
Soothing Foods For Acid Reflux
Foods which help to sooth acid reflux disorder are:
- Complex carbohydrates act well to soothe acid reflux; they help in absorbing excess of acids in the stomach and thereby decreasing acid reflux. Rice, pasta and bread are extremely helpful and you should incorporate in your diet if you eat acid producing spicy food.
- Till now fats were thought to be harmful, but recent experiments suggest fats to be useful in soothing acid reflux disorder, due to certain cytokinins which enables digestion.
- Yogurt: If there is any antidote for acid reflux, than it is yogurt.
Foods To Eat To Prevent Acid Reflux
- Fruits such as bananas, apple, and papaya soothe the acid reflux due to a digestive enzyme bromelin.
- There are certain herbs when added to food preparations will negate the acidic effect in causing damage to esophagus. Basil, fennel, turmeric, slippery elm and chamomile.
- Aloe vera also helps to modify bad effects of acid reflux disorder.
- Eat smaller, more frequent meals. Avoid tomatoes, peppermint and citrus
- Milk is a lifesaver! Drink it to relieve the fire in your tummy and strengthen your bones while you’re at it. Be careful though. Milk sometimes can feel good going down, but later, it is worse. Do not rely on it. It will give you temporary relief only.