Vulvovaginitis is a medical term used for inflammation of vulva and vagina. It is a common condition occurring in almost all women and girls sometime or the other. Vulvovaginitis can occur due to infection, irritation and various other causes that occur in this part of female genital tract. Itching, pain, burning sensation and vaginal discharge are the major symptoms of vulvovaginitis.
This condition is not serious, but extremely discomforting for the patient. The condition is completely curable, but recurrence can occur if she neglects to take proper precautions. Treatment depends on underlying cause.There are many home remedies that are useful to alleviate the discomfort and shorten the recovery period.
Common Causes Of Vulvovaginitis
Vulvovaginitis can occur due to several reasons. Below are given some of the important causes of this condition.
- Bacterial infection: It is one of the common causes for vulvovaginitis. Imbalance of good bacterial flora can result in overgrowth of harmful bacteria in vagina, this may lead to vulvovaginitis. Usually the organisms involved are streptococcus, staphylococcus etc.
- Fungal infection: Fungus Candida is mainly the culprit to cause vulvovaginitsis. It is commonly seen in women suffering from diabetes. Excessive and overuse of antibiotics can also lead to over growth of fungus Candida, especially in vaginal area.
- STD: Vulvovaginitis is one of the symptoms of sexually transmitted disease (STD) such as gonorrhea, Chlamydia infection, trichomonas etc.
- Wearing tight fitting clothes, maintaining poor hygiene, use of soaps etc can cause irritation and inflammation of genital area, which includes vagina and vulva.
- Vaginal contraceptives and chemicals used in soaps and gels can cause vulvovaginitis.
- Sometime there may not be any known reason to cause vulvovagintis. The suspected reason for it can be low level of estrogen, etc.
Symptoms Of Vulvovaginitis
There may be variable symptoms of vulvovaginitis. Most of them depend on the underlying cause. Following symptoms are indicative of this condition.
- Intense itching and burning sensation in vagina and labia.
- Excessive vaginal discharge which may be yellow or brown in color. Discharge can be thick or watery. It often corrodes the underwear.
- Foul smell emitting from vagina.
- Pain while urination.
- Due to pain and inflammation the affected woman experiences difficulty in sexual intercourse.
Treatment And Home Remedies For Vulvovaginitis
Vulvovaginitis is not a serious condition, but it is often discomforting for the woman. There are several measures to treat this condition. Conventional way is anti-fungal and antibacterial medicines depending on the underlying organism. In case of low estrogen level as it is seen in older women, applying estrogen cream is beneficial in treating the annoyance.
Besides antibacterial and anti-fungal treatment, there are several home remedies useful in treating the condition.
- Yogurt is one of the best home remedies for this disease. Yogurt contains culture of good bacteria, which helps in killing the harmful bacteria. Apply yogurt in vaginal area regularly for few days. Also eat yogurt in your meals.
- Apple cider vinegar is another natural medicine to cure vulvovaginitis. The low acidic property helps in balancing pH of vagina, thus restricting the growth of harmful organisms. Dilute apple cider vinegar with water and wash the area with this solution once or two times in a day for few days.
- In case of severe itching and swelling of vaginal area, cold compresses are the answer to solve the discomfort.