Menstrual cycle begins when the girl attains puberty. Normally in every woman menstruation occurs once in 28 to 35 days and lasts for 3 to 7 days. It is in fact the reproductive cycle in which the egg is produced for fertilization. During this period the lining inside the uterus undergoes several changes for easy implantation of fertilized egg. However, when the women is not conceived, the inner lining is shed through vaginal bleeding, which we refer to as menstrual bleeding or periods.
Most women have period once in a month, but some women may menstruate twice in a month.This can be either a normal physiological phenomenon or can be due to disorder related to female reproductive system. Let us know different factors that may cause two periods in one month.
What Are The Causes Of Having Two Periods In A Month?
Experiencing period two times in a month is quiet discomforting for a female. Here are some of the possible causes.
- A natural menstrual cycle: This is the most common reason for a woman to menstruate twice in a calendar month. This may happen when a woman’s period begin on first or second day of the month. As the normal period between two periods is 28 to 35 days. If the woman menstruates on first of the month and if she has regular 23 to 28 days cycle, technically she will have her periods two times in a calendar month. However, most of the time when a woman talks two periods in a month, she means the period begins after two weeks of the last period. This is less than 23 to 28 days normal cycle.
- Hormonal imbalance: Frequent menstruation in a month is caused due to hormonal imbalance. Hormones such as progesterone and estrogen control periods. Any imbalance between them can lead to menstrual irregularity. Factors such as stress, physical strain, dietary change, weight gain and loss, can disturb the balance between the hormones.
- Thyroid disease: Thyroid produces certain hormones which controls various activities in the body. Disorder of thyroid gland and secretion of thyroid hormone is frequently responsible for menstrual irregularity.
- Uterine fibroid and polyps: Uterine fibroids and polyps frequently cause profuse and frequent bleeding from uterus. Many women suffer from one or two periods within a short period of two weeks when they have fibroids in uterus.
- Birth control pill: Some woman may notice mid cycle bleeding during the first few months of taking birth control pills.
What To Do If You Have 2 Periods In One Month?
A period twice in a month is not a normal phenomenon although in most cases it is a benign problem. However, if it occurs for more than two to three cycles in a row, you should consult your gynecologist. You should also talk to your doctor when frequent menstruation is accompanied with pain in abdomen, heavy bleeding and extreme weakness.
Bleeding frequently and excessively can cause anemia. Thus it is necessary to investigate if your periods are too frequent. The gynecologist will perform pelvic examination; recommend songraphy of pelvis and certain blood hormonal tests to find the abnormality. Some woman may require medication to regularize menstruation.