A woman during her periods experience many changes in her body which can be mild, moderate or severe in intensity. There is rise and fall of certain hormones during periods, mainly estrogen and progesterone. It causes normal physiological changes that are necessary for thickening of uterine lining, for ovulation and for shedding of the lining if the woman does not conceive.Sometimes, this normal fluctuation can produce host of discomforting symptoms such as nausea and vomiting.
Lightheadedness is also a common premenstrual syndrome symptom, which can extend even during the periods. During menses she may experience dizziness on waking up in morning or anytime in the day. She feels her body has become light and will lose her balance. Although the symptom is disturbing, it is not a cause of concern.It can be prevented and treated easily with simple natural medicines.
Common Causes Of Lightheadedness During Period
Feeling lightheaded and dizzy is common during periods in many women. It is not the only symptom. There can be other associated symptoms such as lack of appetite, nausea, excessive bleeding, tiredness etc during period. All these can occur due to a swing and alteration in progesterone and estrogen hormones, the two important female hormones.
Lightheadedness if occurs frequently needs to be discussed with your doctor. Besides the hormonal fluctuations, there are many other reasons that may be responsible for dizziness and feeling lightheaded.
- Low blood pressure: Woman with low blood pressure often feel lightheaded and dizzy during menstruation. Fall in blood pressure results in less supply of oxygen in the brain. As a result the woman feels dizzy and lightheaded.
- Contraceptive pills: Woman taking contraceptive pills also experience dizziness and imbalance during menses due to marked variation in hormonal level. However, it is not common in every woman taking contraceptive. Only few women may be affected.
- Thyroid disorder: Woman with thyroid related problems can have menstrual problems. Along with irregularity in menses, she may also suffer from accompanying problems such as intense tiredness, imbalance and lightheadedness.
- Migraine: Many women suffer from migraine headache before and during their menses. The patient may experience lightheadedness along with severe headache, nausea, vomiting, increased sensitivity to light and sound etc. Young woman are more affected with migraine related to menstrual cycle.
- Anemia: Woman diagnosed with anemia or less hemoglobin in blood often suffers from lightheadedness during menses. Especially when they bleed heavily. Due to low hemoglobin, the oxygen carrying capacity of blood is reduced. Brain receives less amount of oxygen and thus may experience temporary back outs, weakness and dizziness, especially during their monthly cycle.
- Irregular menses: Most women having irregularity in their menstrual cycle suffer from lightheadedness, weakness, lethargy, nausea, cramps in abdomen. These women usually suffer from polycystic ovarian syndrome, or uterine fibroids.
Natural Remedies For Lightheadedness During Period
Lightheadedness during menses can be disturbing, but it is not a major health concern. Gradually the condition is ameliorated as your periods go. However, if you take few preliminary measures you may feel it to be less intense.
- Water: Drink plenty of water during menstruation. It keeps the body well hydrated and reduces the risk of dizziness during menses.
- Do not skip your meals as this may affect your blood pressure. Low blood pressure during periods can produce unwanted dizziness and discomfort.
- Herbal tea: Boil few leaves of basil and dried ginger pieces. Strain the liquid as it becomes cool. Drink this mixture once in a day. It helps to prevent nausea and vomiting, alleviates stomach cramps due to the anti inflammatory properties.
- Take deep breaths if you feel dizzy and lightheaded during periods.
- Increase hemoglobin level if there is iron deficiency anemia.