Fibrocystic breast disease is common in women between the ages of 30 to 50 years. It is a condition characterized by painful, mobile lumps in one or both the breasts. Fibrocystic breast disease is a non cancerous condition. The symptoms such as pain and tenderness in breast are aggravated before menstruation. This indicates it has some correlation with the hormonal changes that occur during this period.
Almost fifty percent of women at some point of time in their life may develop fibrocystic breast. In majority of cases fibrocystic lumps are present in outer and upper quadrant of breast.Simple home remedies usually are enough to cure the symptoms. However, often the condition is mistaken to be breast cancer; patient should therefore consult her doctor to rule out the same.
Causes Of Fibrocystic Breast Disease
Fibrocystic breast disease usually occurs in women during the reproductive age, more commonly between the ages of 25 to 50. The exact cause is not established, but hormonal changes are suspected to play a role. Mainly the female hormone estrogen produced by ovaries is believed to be responsible for the cystic lumps.
Fluid filled cystic lumps develop in the fibrous tissue of breast or milk producing glands become swollen.It is caused due to excess growth of fibrous tissue in breast. All the changes occur as a response to the fluctuation in the hormones estrogen as the condition resolves after menopause. Estrogen level reduces with menopause.
Symptoms Of Fibrocystic Breast Disease
Fibrocystic breast may present with following clinical symptoms:
- Pain and heaviness in breast, especially before onset of menstruation.
- Lump in breast especially on the outer quadrant of breast.
- Lump of fibrocystic breast disease moves when you palpate. The size of lump can vary from time to time. Lump of fibrocystic breast is difficult to hold between two fingers as it slips. If there is excess of fibrous tissue the lump may not move.
- Change in size of breast.
- Sometimes discharge from nipple, but it is non bloody discharge.
- No dimpling of breast.
- Breast enlarges in size before menses.
- Breast tenderness.
Home Remedies For Fibrocystic Breast Disease
In majority of cases fibrocystic breast does not require any treatment if the woman is comfortable and without any symptoms. However, treatment may be needed if woman experiences pain and tenderness or if the size of lump is too large.
Most of the time over the counter pain killers helps to relieve pain and tenderness. Home remedies are supportive in alleviating the symptoms.
- Wear a supportive bra that helps to reduce pain and breast tenderness.
- Apply warm and cold compresses two to three times in a day before menses.
- Avoid consumption of coffee, tea and other caffeinated products as they are known to aggravate the condition.
- Cabbage leaf is time tested home remedy for fibrocystic breast. Place cold cabbage leaf on the affected breast for 2 to 3 hours at night. It helps to relieve the size of cyst and alleviate pain.
- Avoid too much of salty food during the time of menses. Water retention at the time of menses can worsen the condition.
- To reduce the size of lump massage ginger oil gently over the affected breast. After massage follow it with warm compresses.
- Take vitamin E capsules as it is known to alleviate pain and swelling of fibrocystic breast disease.