Advancements in medical science and research have made it easy to overcome shortfalls and limitations that were once a concerned to be a problem for human health. One such significant advance is made in the field of hormones. Some of the hormones can now be replenished in case the body is deficient or is unable to produce it anymore.
Estrogen cream is one such product that has far reaching clinical applications especially in post menopausal women.It is available with many brand names. This cream is introduced locally in the vagina to alleviate uncomfortable symptoms of menopause such as dryness, itching and burning in vagina. It is also prescribed as skin cream for treating wrinkles.
Estrogen is predominantly a female hormone which is naturally prepared by the ovaries. But during menopause the level of estrogen falls which can lead to several discomforting symptoms in many women.Although application of estrogen cream has proved beneficial in many ways to reduce the symptoms, it sometime can cause several and severe side effects. Thus every individual who needs this treatment must discuss with her doctor and know the side effects.
What Are The Side Effects Of Estrogen Cream?
There are several side effects estrogen cream can produce. Here is the list of side effects that can develop after application of estrogen cream in vagina:
- Unusual bleeding from vagina.
- Tenderness and pain in breast.
- Lump or a swelling in breast.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Jaundice or yellow discoloration of skin and eyes.
- Headache due to high blood pressure.
- Stomach discomfort.
- Irritation in vagina after local application of the cream.
- Mood changes such as depression, confusion, memory problems etc.
- Abnormal discharge from vagina.
- Patient is unable to sleep well.
- Unwanted growth of hair on areas such as over the upper lip and on face.
- Dark spots on facial skin.
- It may produce allergic reaction in some women. The symptoms may include hives on skin, difficulty in breathing, swelling of lips and tongue; in severe cases there may be associated difficulty in swallowing food.
- Prolonged use of estrogen cream can lead to high blood sugar. The symptoms include increased thirst, increased urination, dryness in mouth, increased perspiration etc.
- It can also lead to blood clotting in leg. The symptoms may be pain in legs, swelling, and redness in legs.
- Clot in lung can cause distressed breathing, pain in chest, severe and sudden coughing, wheezing, fast breathing, spitting of blood.
- Stroke can be one of the side effects of estrogen cream. This may also develop as a result of prolonged use of estrogen cream. There is sudden weakness in limbs. Commonly one side of the body is affected. Slurred speech, imbalance and vision problems.
Normally side effects do not occur in all women who apply estrogen cream. However, some women may experience it. Thus before using this medication, it is always necessary to inform the doctor if the patient is allergic to any medicines. It should not be used if the patient has undiagnosed vaginal bleeding, breast cancer, stroke or heart attack.
Patient should also inform if there is a family history of endometrial cancer, breast cancer, heart disease and liver disease. Since estrogen cream can cause darkening of the facial skin, patient should go out in sun after applying sunscreen. Patient should avoid smoking as the chances of blood clotting increases if she is on estrogen cream.