Smoking is considered to be one of the most dangerous habits, it is observed that people die 10 to 12 years younger compared to a non- smoker of same age.
Harmful Effects And Risks Of Smoking
- The death related to smoking can be sudden as seen in cardiac arrest or lingering as seen in chronic disease such as COPD and cancer.
- Cigarette smoking contains three harmful and carcinogenic chemicals: nicotine, tar containing chemicals and carbon monoxide.
- Nicotine stimulates the brain and this compound is the culprit for forming the habit of cigarette smoking.
- Other harmful effects of smoking is the tar deposits in the lungs, it contains chemicals which can cause cancer.
- Carbon monoxide decreases the oxygen carrying capacity in blood.
Smoking Related Diseases
Diseases caused due to smoking are: from head to toe are
- Stroke: caused due to clogged blood vessels, an effects of smoking.
- Alzheimer’s disease.
- Cataract: premature cataract is observed to due long term cigarette smoking.
- Early wrinkling of skin of face.
- Cancer of neck and throat.
- Cardiovascular attacks.(heart attack)
- Lung disease: bronchitis, COPD, cancer of lungs, tuberculosis and sarcoidosis.
Diseases Caused By Smoking
- Cancers of various organs: stomach, pancreas, bladder, uterus, kidney and blood.
- Cancer of prostate.
- Infertility and sterility
- Decreased circulation in lower leg causing gangrene in finger and toes.
- Abdominal aortic aneurism
Of the above hypertension, stroke, heart attack, cancer of lungs and throat, COPD are usually encountered the most in middle age of a person who smoke for a very long duration.