We all are aware that tobacco smoking has devastating effect on human health, especially on lungs, heart and blood vessels. However, very few people are aware that cigarette smoking can also affect fertility in women. In fact in modern days excessive smoking which is common in women has become a matter of concern.
Studies suggest that women who smoke during their fertile period find difficulty to get pregnant than non smokers.Again the risk of infertility problem increases on the amount of cigarettes smoked in a day and number of years the woman smokes.
How Does Smoking Cause Infertility In Women?
- Cigarette has toxins such as carbon monoxide, tobacco, and nicotine that cause constriction in the blood vessels thus making it hard for blood circulation.
- Since hormones travel through blood, there is a delay or lack of hormone activity.
- Ovaries are one of the organs that are affected by the toxins emitted by cigarette smoking. The toxins present in tobacco smoke are able to destroy healthy cells of ovaries which manufacture estrogen the essential hormone necessary for production of eggs.
- Anovulation (absence of ovulation) and menstrual irregularities are effect of hormonal imbalance due to smoking.
- Smoking also increases the risk of miscarriage in pregnant women.
- The risk of ectopic pregnancy is high in women who smoke as compared to non smokers.
- Women who smoke during pregnancy are at greater risk of delivering low birth weight babies as well as premature births.
- There is a greater risk of cervical cancer for women who smoke that can lead to permanent infertility.
- An experiment done in mice proved that smoking affected the rate of ovulation, maturation of eggs and chromosomal defects.
- In women, the quantity and quality of the egg cell become less with smoking.
- In case of in vitro fertilization (IVF), rates of having a successful pregnancy are significantly lowered.
How To Quit Smoking Naturally?
The chance of fertility often improves once the woman quits smoking. Studies have shown promising result of pregnancy rate among females who stopped smoking 3 to 4 months before becoming pregnant.
- Have a strong mindset to quit smoking. Studies show that millions of people have thoughts of quitting smoking each day but only few of them succeed Think about the serious disease like diabetes, lung cancer, and heart disease that can be acquired through smoking.
- Know the effects. Smoking has toxins that can cause degeneration of the human body with very extensive effects to it. When you think about these side effects, your will have a strong will to quit smoking.
- Be prepared and have a definite plan. Set a date where you would start modifying your lifestyle. Include the number of sticks to subtract in a day.
- Get some aid. Have nicotine nasal sprays, nicotine lozenges, nicotine inhalers, nicotine gum, nicotine patches, and electronic cigarette.