As you are aware smoking tobacco is harmful to health, it may cause severe conditions such as cancer of lung etc. Smoking during pregnancy is harmful not only to a pregnant woman but also to the fetus inside her womb.
Some of the effects of smoking during pregnancy can be further elaborated as follows:
- Miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy is frequently encountered among women who smoke during pregnancy.
- Pregnant women who smoke a lot may deliver a low birth weight baby.
- Rate of premature babies is almost twice in a pregnant smoker, compared to their counterparts who are non smokers.
- Babies born to mothers who smoke during pregnancy have a low IQ level.
What Are The Risk Of Smoking While Pregnant?
- Infant respiratory distress syndrome and sudden infant death syndrome increases many fold in mothers who smoke during and after pregnancy.
- Diabetes and obesity with high blood cholesterol are late effects observed in children born to mothers who used to smoke during pregnancy.
- Cerebral palsy, mental retardation is other conditions observed in children born to mothers who smoke during pregnancy.
- Besides this chronic cough, lower respiratory tract infections and other conditions are common in women who smoke during pregnancy.
- Hypertension and pre-eclampsia conditions are also more common in smokers.
Pregnant women with asthma should avoid smoking totally. Cigarette smoke from tobacco is a major indoor pollutant. It also plays the role of an irritant that creates breathing difficulties in the lungs of an asthmatic person who indulges in smoking. There is also thick evidence that passive smoking or exposure to secondhand smoke in pregnant women can lead to frequent respiratory problems and among asthmatic patients it can cause more frequent and severe asthma episodes.