It is observed that during pregnancy, some women have low thyroid level. It is especially noticed during first trimester. But in some cases it prolongs for the whole pregnancy period.
Low Thyroid Levels During Pregnancy
Low thyroid levels in pregnancy can damage the fetus in its development, physically and intellectually.
Doctors recommend blood test for thyroid level during pregnancy for this purpose. T3, T4, TSH is the test done to know thyroid level.
Causes Of Low Thyroid Levels
- Hashimoto thyroiditis. (Chronic autoimmune thyroiditis)
- Iodine deficiency
Low Thyroid Levels In Women Symptoms
Signs and symptoms of low thyroid level during pregnancy:
- Patient is not able to tolerate cold. She feels chilly all the time.
- Muscle cramps.
- Fatigue and weakness.
- Weight gain.
- Hair fall
- Change in voice.
- Dry skin.
Treatment For Low Thyroid Levels
- A pregnant woman should eat food rich in iodine. Green leafy vegetables, seaweed, kelp are some of the examples of iodine rich food.
- Eat foods high in vitamin A. carrot, green leafy vegetable, egg, fish etc are high in vitamin A. it will be beneficial for functioning of thyroid.
- Omega -3 fatty acids containing sea food such as fish and nuts boost your metabolism and that is good for pregnant woman with low thyroid level.
- And lastly your doctor may also prescribe medicine for better functioning of thyroid, if you suffer from low thyroid level during pregnancy.