Seeing Eye Flashes During Pregnancy
While pregnant, women experience so many changes in the body including vision disturbances characterized by eye floaters. Eye floaters are tiny spots, specks, dots, or fibrous strands that float freely and slowly before the eyes. Seeing eye floaters during pregnancy is not a problem; though annoying, some people ignore it and let it go away gradually without any treatment.
The most common cause of eye floaters is age related. While young, the vitreous humour is well attached to the retina. As we age, the vitreous becomes liquefied, and contractions begin and falls away from the retina, causing floaters to float in front of the eye’s field of vision.
Causes of Eye Flashes During Pregnancy
Pregnant women experience floaters, and the causes of seeing eye floaters during pregnancy are the following:
- Tiny scraps of protein trapped in the vitreous humour.
- In the third trimester of the pregnancy, the hyaloids artery regresses to provide nutrients to the developing lens in the growing fetus. During this period, the artery may not fully regress thus there are remnants left and these leftover is seen as floaters.
- Eye floaters during pregnancy may also indicate gestational diabetes
- Pregnancy hypertensive disorder (Eclampsia and pre-eclampsia) can cause pregnant women to see spots floating before their eyes.
Home Remedies for Eye Flashes and Floaters
Though eye floaters gradually disappear, there are cases that are persistent and worrisome. If this happens, you should have it diagnosed and get necessary treatment immediately. Some of the first aids and home remedies that you can use in the treatment for eye floaters during pregnancy are the following:
- When you see floaters in your line of vision, try to turn your eyeball around or try to look up and down.
- Herbal medicine like gingko, lysine and bilberry are beneficial for floaters as they promotes blood circulation to the vessels in the eye.
- Other supplements such as hoelen, gardenia, licorice, dong guai, poria, atractylodes, tree peony, white peony, ginger, eyebright and dandelion can cure eye health and other vision conditions including eye floaters.
- Keep close with your nutrition and lifestyle: Avoid caffeine and alcohol. Eat plenty of fresh vegetable (keep away from eggplants, peppers, potatoes, and tomatoes as these are toxin-forming vegetables). Eat fish, nuts, seeds, and whole grains. And drink 8 glasses of water everyday to flush away toxins from your body.