Liver enzymes consists of:
- Total serum bilirubin (conjugated and un-conjugated)
- Alkaline phosphatase
- Serum gamma-glutamyl transferase
- Transaminase (AST and ALT)
- Serum albumin
- Prothromin time
Serum albumin and prothromin time are included in liver function tests.
Symptoms Of High Liver Enzymes Levels
Each enzyme when raised in level, signifies as liver abnormality
- Total serum bilirubin- normal range (NR) – 5 to 7 umol/l.
- Un-conjugated- NR- 5.1 to 19umol/l. When the level of this enzyme is raised, it is suggestive of hemolytic disease, abnormality such as coagulation defects and hepatitis.
- Conjugated- NR- 1.7 to 6.8 umol/l. Increased level is suggestive of viral hepatitis, cirrhosis, cholestasis and Dubin-Johnson syndrome.
- Alkaline phosphatase- NR- 20-90u/l. When raised it is suggestive of cholestasis and hepatic metastasis.
- Serum gamma-glutamyl transferase (most sensitive for presence of hepato-biliary disease). NR- males- 0 to 65 IU/L and in females- 0 to 40 IU/L. Its increased level is suggestive of acute hepatitis, chronic active hepatitis, alcoholic cirrhosis and primary biliary cirrhosis.
- Transaminase- AST (aspertate amino-transferase) and ALT (alanine amino-transferase) NR- 5 to 40 IU/L. The raised level of this enzyme is suggestive of cholestasis, acute hepatitis, chronic active persistent hepatitis, infectious mononucleosis and malignant liver disease.
Natural Remedies To Lower Liver Enzymes
Home remedies will depend upon the causes, leading to the raised level of enzymes.
In raised level of enzymes due to acute viral hepatitis (most common), the home remedies are:
- Sugarcane juice and glucose powder is effective in hepatitis. It promotes general health as well as gives nutrition.
- In patients who are diabetic barley water should be given. Seeds of barley are boiled in water and taken one glass at least two to three times a day.
- Freshly expressed juice of margosa and mixed with honey, is a good remedy for hepatitis.
In case of raised liver enzymes due to liver cirrhosis:
- Two teaspoon fresh lemon juice mixed with one teaspoon of onion juice, taken once daily in morning for two months helps in cases of cirrhosis.