Atrophy of any organ is shrinkage in size of that particular organ. Together with decrease in size, there may be associated dysfunction. Cerebral atrophy is decrease in the size of the brain. It can be a part of the brain or the entire brain. In cerebral atrophy, there is progressive damage and loss of brain cells. This may cause loss of neurological function. Cerebral atrophy can occur due to many causes such as aging and brain diseases.
In generalized atrophy, entire brain shrinks in size, and it is commonly seen in aging persons.The weight of the entire brain reduces due to loss and gradual death of neurons. Cerebral atrophy is also common in people suffering from stroke. In this case, a part of the brain may become atrophied. Loss of memory, loss of motor control, seizures, difficulty in speaking words and improper gait are some of its symptoms.
The condition usually is gradual but sometimes it can be rapid and sudden. There is no known cure once the process starts; however with homeopathic medicines and other alternative therapies, it is possible to manage and delay the progression of disease.
What Are The Causes Of Cerebral Atrophy?
Cerebral atrophy can arise due to many reasons. It can be due to an injury to the brain, diseases of the brain or infection of the brain.
- Injury to brain cells can be due to stoppage of blood supply to a particular area of brain as it occurs in stroke or it can be direct traumatic injury to the brain from external force.
- Diseases which are responsible for cerebral atrophy are Alzheimer’s disease, Huntington’s disease, Multiple sclerosis, dementia, etc.
- Brain infection such as encephalitis, tuberculous meningitis, syphilis can damage and destroy brain cells, the neurons giving rise to various cerebral atrophy symptoms.
There are several contributing or risk factors involved in triggering cerebral atrophy such as advanced age, injury to the brain, certain debilitating neurological disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease. A person having family history of multiple sclerosis may be at a greater risk of developing cerebral atrophy than others.
Symptoms Of Cerebral Atrophy
Since cerebral atrophy can be generalized where the entire brain is involved or it can be focal involving a limited portion of the brain, the symptoms can be those that may be general such as loss of memory, change in behavior pattern, difficulty in speaking, disorientation etc. If one small part is atrophied, the symptoms are relevant to the functions of the affected site, for example affection of eyes leading to blurred vision, weakness on one side of the body etc.
- Generalized symptoms: Atrophy of entire brain can lead to symptoms that may affect all over personality of the patient. They may persist throughout the day or for a period of time. Mood changes, change in behavior- mental as well as physical, difficulty in judging or thinking, memory lapse, writing and reading difficulty disorientation and leaning problems are some of the generalized symptoms.
- Local symptoms: When a small part of the brain gets atrophied or shrinks in size, the brain cells destroyed in that area can cause dysfunction of the part which is controlled by it. The localized symptom may include blurred vision, vision loss, slurred speech, difficulty in pronouncing particular words, in coordination of movement, loss of bladder and bowel control, seizures, swallowing difficulty etc.
Homeopathic Treatment For Cerebral Atrophy
Cerebral atrophy is a progressive disease which may be gradual in onset. It is an incurable condition, and therefore the main aim is to make the patient’s life as comfortable as possible by relieving the symptoms. In homeopathy, there are certain medicines that may help to either slow down the death and atrophy of the brain cells or help the patient to be more comfortable by alleviating the symptoms to an extent.
For example, Gelsemium is one such remedy which helps in improving tremor, coordination of muscles, reduces drowsiness and dullness, etc, besides making the patient calm. There are many other remedies such as Plumbum Met, Zincum Met, Causticum, Arnica, Nat phos, Nat Sulph etc which may be useful.
Since homeopathy believes in individualization, the remedy for one person may not be the same for another even though the symptoms and disease may be similar. Therefore, patient should consult a homeopath before taking any homeopathic medicine.