People give much importance to lips as they play an important role for facial attraction. An amazing smile can do lot many things which words cannot. However, disfigured lips or issues like sticky coating on lips can play a spoil sport. Many people suffer from this discomfort, although the condition does not have any serious health implications. It is more of a cosmetic malady than anything else.
Some people might have weird feeling of stickiness on their lips when they first get up in the morning. They may also have a thick coating on their lips, just like white coated tongue. Several causes such as dehydration, fungal infection and too much licking can be the cause. If you are one of them having sticky lips, do not worry as you can prevent and treat the condition with home remedies present in your kitchen cabinet.
What Causes A Thick Sticky Coating On Lips?
- White coating on lips usually develops when there is increased amount of dead skin cells on your lips. Dehydration is one of the prominent causes for coating on your lips. If you suffer from diarrhea, vomiting or fever, you may often have thick coated lips as well as tongue.
- Yeast infection or Candida infection on lips can also cause a coating on the lips. It may be accompanied with itching, burning and sometime mild to moderate swelling. Lips may be involved in children having oral thrush.
- Frequent licking of lips or increased salivation during sleep can cause stickiness and thin white layer on your lips.
- Lips do not have natural ability to produce oil to keep the lips moist. They become chapped and unattractive easily. Chapped lips appear sticky and coated. Vitamin deficiency, smoking, exposure to too much of sunlight and cold weather can further aggravate the condition.
Natural Ways To Get Rid Of Sticky Coating On Lips
Here are simple home remedies that may be useful to get rid of unattractive coating and stickiness on lips.
- Lip scrub: Prepare a scrub by mixing olive oil and sugar. Apply the mixture on your lips and scrub the area gently. Lick of the residue after few minutes. Dry the area with a clean towel. Apply a lip balm. The action of olive oil is to lock the moisture while sugar helps in exfoliating the dead skin cells present on lips.
- Some people have the habit of excessive licking of lips. Avoid it as much as you can to prevent stickiness and coating caused after the saliva on the lips becomes dry.
- Avoid smoking and drinking as both are harmful for your lips.
- Cucumber is the best friend if your lips have suffered due to dehydration. Apply cucumber juice or grated cucumber on the lips and let the content remain for 10 to 15 minutes before you wash it with water. Cucumber helps to keep your lips soft and supple.
- Aloe vera gel has unique natural qualities in keeping your lips healthy. Apply it liberally on your lips if they are sticky and coated. Due to its mild antifungal activity, aloe vera is also beneficial if your lips suffer from fungal infection or thrush.
- Drink plenty of water and electrolytes to prevent dehydration when you are having diarrhea, fever and coming.
- Natural probiotic such as yogurt is time tested home remedy for curing sticky and coated lips. Apply it generously on your lips. Also eat one cup of yogurt as the healthy bacteria present in it will help to kill the germs responsible for white coating on lips.