The twitching lip syndrome is described as an involuntary action of the lips, which occurs when the muscles suddenly contract. It can be traced to a variety of reasons and should be observed further if it becomes more frequent.
Causes Of Twitching Lips
- Sudden rush of fear or excitement
- Withdrawal from excessive use of drugs or alcohol
- Lack of Potassium in the diet
Persistent Twitching Lip
- For persistent lip twitching, there is a need to see a doctor for possible change in health conditions
- There may be a problem in the facial nerve that can be a precursor to a tumor
- If the twitching becomes more pronounced or noticeable, there may be underlying conditions such as:
- Parkinson’s disease
- Tourette’s syndrome, a disorder that can be inherited
- Hypoparathyroidism, the lack of parathyroid hormone produced by the body
- DiGeorge syndrome, a heart condition that also affects facial muscles
How To Stop A Twitching Lip Naturally?
- To overcome fear or any possible condition brought by the twitching, consult a doctor to be sure.
- Maintain a more relaxed state of mind and body, away from stress that could cause agitation.
- Surround oneself with family or peers who can help with an existing problem or difficulty.
- Reduce intake of caffeine or alcoholic drinks.
- Patient can put a warm compress on the twitching to relax the muscles.
- Eat a sufficient supply of foods with a high Potassium content. Magnesium-rich foods may also help in stopping lip twitching.