Freckles on the lips are dark brown pigmented spots observed especially during summer months. They are attributed to the precipitation of melanin, which is responsible for the black discoloration of the skin.
Exposure to direct sunlight during summers is an attributing factor, however freckles on lips may be observed around the year in some cases. There are a host of home remedies and natural treatments which are found beneficial in the management of dark spots and freckles on the lips. Usually freckles on the lips disappear after the summer months.
Causes Of Freckles On The Lips
The main factor responsible for formation of freckles on the lips is the precipitation and accumulation of melanin.Melanin is a natural pigment found in the skin tissue, which is meant to provide protection against exposure to ultraviolet radiations from the sun.
In summer months, prolonged exposure to direct sunlight can result in increased precipitation of melanin. This is one of the reasons why freckles are more apparent during summers and less frequently observed during winter seasons.
Studies have shown that freckles on the lips run among families and hence hereditary also plays a crucial role in the formation of freckles on the lips.
How To Get Rid Of Freckles On Your Lips?
Though there are a host of cosmetic procedures available, there are some simple, inexpensive and risk free home remedies that have been found beneficial in the treatment of freckles on the lips.These home remedies include the following,
- Local application of honey is considered beneficial in the management of freckles on the lips and skin. Add honey and wheat germ in equal proportions in a bowl and apply the mixture on the freckles. Leave the application to about fifteen minutes and then wash it off with warm water. Honey and wheat germ helps smoothen the lips and aid in dispersing the melanin.
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice acts as natural bleach and helps fade the freckles out. Rub freshly squeezed lemon juice on the lips with your fingers and keep it on for about half an hour. Keeping the application of lemon juice overnight is considered to have better results.
- Prepare a mixture with equal amounts of Lemon juice, Red Current juice, Orange juice and Parsley juice. Regular use of this mixture can help remove freckles naturally.
- Sour cream local application is also considered beneficial in reducing marks and dark spots associated with freckles on the lips.
Prevention Of Freckles On Skin And Lips
Simple precautions and following simple tips can often prevent the formation of freckles on the lips and the skin,
- Using sun protection regularly, in the form of application of sunscreen lotion or Aloe Vera gel is considered beneficial. Ensure that the sunscreen lotion is SPF 30 or more for it to be beneficial.
- Other protective measures like using a large brimmed hat can also help reduce the occurrence of freckles on the skin and lips.
- Avoid outdoors especially from 10 am to 4 pm during the day, especially during summers to protect the skin and lips from UV radiations.