How to Cure Dry Peeling Lips
Extremely dry peeling lips gives discomfort because it is not only disturbing aesthetically, it can also be very painful.
Dry Sore Peeling Lips Causes
- Nutritional deficiency such as vitamin B deficiency
- Overexposure to the sun
- Cold and dry weather
- Frequent licking of the lips. Saliva ‘œdigests’ the thin membrane in our lips causing it to dry and peel. It also evaporates rapidly in air.
- Allergic reaction to cosmetics and makeup
Remedy for Dry Peeling Lips
- Apply petroleum jelly thinly to your sore dry peeling lips several times a day.
- Exfoliate your lips by rubbing them gently with a soft-bristled toothbrush or a soft washcloth. You can apply a thin paste of baking soda before exfoliating.
- Avoid exposure to cold and dry weather. Put some lip balm or petroleum jelly when going outdoors.
- Protect your lips from overexposure to sunlight. A lip balm with an SPF of 15 or more is enough.
- Don’t smoke or at least avoid smoking. It damages the thin layer of skin in your lips.
- Drink at least six to eight glasses of water per day to keep yourself hydrated. You can also use lip moisturizers.
- Consider installing a humidifier in your home and office.
- Eat a nutritious diet especially foods rich in vitamin B complex such as cereals, red meat, and dairy products.