Question: I have dark area on the top and bottom of my lip. What is the cause of this and what is solution to my condition?
Answer: You are having hyper pigmentation of the skin around the lips; it is usually harmless, except for the cosmetic reason. Hyper pigmentation results due to excess of the melanin pigments in that area. Melanin pigments give color to the skin. The skin becomes darker due to the exposure to the sun.
It is the effect of the ultraviolet rays of the sun.
The other cause of dark skin around the lips can be due to cigarette smoking, a wrong tooth paste, or lipstick.
Home Remedies and Treatment for Dark Skin Around Lips
To get rid of the dark color around the lips you can follow some of the home remedy tips
- Apply the mixture prepared from honey, lemon juice and curd around the lips. Lemon juice has natural bleaching quality, try it for two weeks and you will see the result.
- Grate cucumber and mix lime juice to it. Apply it on the dark skin around the lips. Wash it after 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rub lemon slice around the lips.
- Apply aloe vera jel on the hyper pigmented area regularly.
- Combination of gram flour, turmeric powder and curd if applied around the lips gives the desired result.
- Try to use a good quality lipstick if you are using it.
Prevent Dark Skin on Lips
Apply sunscreen lotion when going out in the sun, quit smoking if a person is smoking as the smoke darkens the skin color, and reduce tea and coffee intake.