Lips are an important part of facial attraction, no matter if they are thin or plump. Sometimes, an aesthetic pleasing smile can be more convincing than the uttered words. Having cracked and bleeding lips can thus make your look unattractive, aside from being painful. Many people often neglect caring their lips until some serious problems like fissures or bleeding occur.
It may be scary to see bleeding from your lips as you get up in the morning. Besides change in weather, which is one of the most prominent reasons for dry and chapped lips, there are several other causes responsible for bleeding lips, especially in morning when you get up from your sweet slumber.
Although the problem seems to be minor, if the condition is neglected it can result in serious health issues. Most of the lip issues are easily curable with home remedies.
What Causes Blood On Lips In Morning?
The basic reason for bleeding from lips is dryness. When the lips become extremely dry and flaky, they tend to bleed easily. Lip skin is thin and fragile. Slightest pressure or stretching can tear the lip skin, especially when it is dry. Soon it is followed by bleeding from the cracks and fissures.
- As mentioned earlier, many people suffer from lip issues such as chapped and peeling in winter months when there is lack of moisture in the air. Bleeding may occur from the dry and peeled skin anytime, but more often in morning hours soon after you get up.
- Excessive licking of lips also tends to make them dry and parched. The saliva from the mouth robs away moisture on the lips making them dry. Dry lip skin easily starts bleeding when you get up early in the morning.
- Dehydration due to diarrhea and vomiting can result in dry skin, accompanied with less urination, dry tongue and lips. Chapped lips easily tear and cause bleeding.
- People who breathe through mouth during nighttime frequently suffer from dryness and bleeding lips in morning.
- A person, especially children who have habit of lip biting and teeth grinding are prone to bleed from their lips due to lip injury.
- Mouth washes and toothpastes containing chemicals can be a cause for rupture of lip skin among people who have allergy to the particular chemical present in them. It can be a chronic cause of bleeding from lips which a person may not realize till a he consults his doctor to know the reason.
- Certain lipsticks contain chemical propyl gallate. It is known to reduce natural oil from the lip. Use of such lipstick for a long period during daytime can cause dryness and fissures in lips, ultimately leading to bleeding.
- Smoking can make your lips dry and dehydrated. It is one of the main reasons for chapped lips among men.
- Autoimmune conditions such as psoriasis, lichen planus, Sjorgren’s syndrome can make your lips and eyes dry. This may be one of the reasons for bleeding from dry and chapped lips.
Natural Remedies For Bleeding Lips
Determining the cause for bleeding from lips is an important step in curing the condition. In majority of cases dry and chapped lips is the cause for bleeding lips in morning. Avoiding mouth breathing, smoking, eating citrus fruits at nighttime, will help in reducing the incidence of dryness and bleeding from lips.
Switching over to herbal toothpaste and mouth washes is a better alternative to prevent bleeding if you know chemicals in both are responsible for it. Here are some useful home remedies to cure dry and chapped lips which cause bleeding from lips in morning.
- Coconut oil: Apply coconut oil on your lips if they are dry and chapped. It is a natural moisturizer useful in winter months. Apply it daily on your lips if your lips bleed if they become chapped and dry. Besides, coconut oil is also mild anti bacterial, which will prevent infection in lips.
- Milk cream: The fats present in milk cream are beneficial in reducing dryness. The moisturizing property of milk cream will aid in preventing bleeding from lips if you are prone to suffer from dry lips.
- Honey: It is a time tested home remedy to keep your lip supple and smooth. Honey traps the moisture in lips and prevents it from evaporating due to environmental changes. Hone is also a natural antibacterial remedy.
- If you are allergic to honey, you can try applying glycerin which serves the same purpose.
- Drink enough water, especially if you are dehydrated. Drink at least 8 to 9 glasses of water daily to keep your lip skin well hydrated.
- To stop bleeding from lips, aloe vera gel is the best home remedy from nature’s basket. Apply it daily at night before going to sleep if you are prone to have bleeding lips in the morning.