Baby blues is a common phenomenon among many women after childbirth. Baby blues is a name given to mild form of postpartum depression. For every woman having a baby is the most exciting moment in her life although it may be exhausting and too demanding. This joyous and pleasant period of life for some woman soon after their pregnancy can be quiet challenging, due to sudden episodes of crying and mood swings. At least 80 percent of women who are pregnant for the first time suffer from baby blues.
The nervousness, anxiety, and such other emotions usually take few weeks to fade after childbirth.But sometimes the emotions may prolong for months together and become more severe resulting in what we call postpartum depression. The mild symptoms of baby blues may or may not require any treatment. However, post partum depression does require treatment. Homeopathic medicines are found suitable for treating baby blues.
Symptoms And Causes Of Baby Blues
Baby blues symptoms are temporary and usually they become apparent 3 to 4 days after the birth of the child. In some cases it may occur after 10 to 12 days after childbirth. The symptoms occur for few minutes or hours every day.They are mild and usually go away on their own after few weeks. They are frequently observed among first time moms.
- Frequent spell of crying for no apparent reasons
- Profound anxiety
- Becomes impatient too easily contrary to her previous nature
- Extreme sadness
- Feeling of hopelessness
- Become tired easily without any strenuous physical work
- Frequent change in mood
- Low concentration
- Easily irritated
The exact cause of baby blues is not known. But it is believed to be associated with hormonal changes that occur during pregnancy and after childbirth. This hormonal fluctuations result in many chemical changes in the brain which gives rise to depression.
Also change in sleeping pattern, adjusting with baby’s day to day care, and overall disruption in daily life can contribute to such baby blues symptoms.
Homeopathic Remedies For Baby Blues
There are several different measures with which you can treat the symptoms of baby blues. Rest, eating a balanced diet, and talking with someone whom you trust about your feelings are essential ways to treat the symptoms.
Homeopathic medicines are found effective in dealing with this mild form of depression after childbirth effectively. Some of the homeopathic remedies for baby blues are:
- Phos Acid: It is a remedy used for nervous exhaustion. Patient has mental debility and it is useful in women who are apathetic and indifferent behavior after childbirth. She is listless and gets tired easily.
- Pulsatilla: It is a remedy suitable for mild, gentle women. She cries readily and feels sad all the time. She even weeps while talking. Frequent changes in mood are common symptoms that indicate this drug. There is fear of being alone and timid.
- Natrum Mur: This homeopathic remedy for baby blues is very effective. Particularly when the mother has tears alternating with episodes of laughter. The patient has excess craving for salt.
- Sepia: It is the best remedy for mother who behaves indifferently to those loved best. She cries frequently without any reason. She becomes averse to family members and the child. Sepia acts best on brunettes. She feels cold even in warm room. Sepia is indicated in mothers who have these symptoms after childbirth.