This is a mental ailment wherein the body has an imbalance of certain chemicals so that depression ensues. When this happens, the patient will experience a wave of depression that could last for weeks – with some defining this type of depression as something that lasts at least 2 weeks.
Chemicals depression condition is not just simple depression and could last for weeks. This often interferes with the patient’s daily functions. In extreme cases it can lead to suicidal thoughts and even suicide attempts.
Symptoms Of Chemical Depression
This kind of depression is not just caused by an event in a person’s life.In fact, the event is usually not a cause but only a trigger.
Different patients might exhibit different symptoms but these could be any or a combination of the following:
- Suicidal thoughts.
- Suicide attempts.
- Inability to concentrate.
- Sudden loss or gain of appetite.
- Changes in sleeping patterns.
- Loss of pleasure in daily activities, even in activities that the patient once loved to do.
- Intense feelings of self loathing or worthlessness.
- A period of sadness that could go for at least 2 weeks.
Depression Due To Chemical Imbalance Causes
This type of depression is caused by a number of factors:
- Genetic causes: People who have close family members diagnosed with depression could have a higher risk of having or developing depression.
- Environmental causes: Such causes could be a break-up, job termination, divorce, trauma, and other struggles that the patient does not know how to deal with.
- Biological causes: Certain imbalances of the chemicals, including serotonin and endorphins, in the brain can cause depression.
Treating Chemical Depression
- Because the condition is caused by imbalances in chemicals in the brain, medications will be administered to help the patient regain the normal chemical balance.