Sometimes there are peculiar sensations and feelings that a person may experience. One such sensation is feeling of coldness along the spine or the back. Such abnormal sensations usually have some medical pathology underlying it. It may be an indication of a minor illness as flu or something major impending disease such as multiple sclerosis. Whatever be the cause, if you are feeling cold sensation along the spine or anywhere in the spinal area and back, you have to talk to your doctor, particularly if the abnormal sensation is persistent over a period of time.
Possible causes of coldness along the spine:
- The cold sensation in back is a sensory symptom. It is something related with nerves. Some people may feel as if cold water is poured over the spine or some may experience draught of cold air passing through the spine even in a closed room. All these sensation have an underlying cause. Firstly it may be related with environment which a person always must consider first, especially when he is living in cold climate.
- Emotions play vital role in several aspects of our life. Anxiety and fear can produce cold sensation and chilliness. When you are in some flight or fight situation your body becomes activated and there is rush of adrenaline in the system. It heats up your body to tackle the situation. As your body gets heated, you tend to sweat more. A draught of air passing through the back makes your spine feel cold.
- Patient suffering from influenza often has chills all over the body including back and spine.
- A person suffering from neurological diseases such as multiple sclerosis, diabetic neuropathy, may suffer from damage to the sensory nerves. This may cause this abnormal sensation of chills along the spine.
- Alcohol related neuropathy can also produce chills along the spine.
- Other endocrine diseases aside from diabetes such as hypothyroidism have chilliness as one of its symptoms. Reduced amount of certain thyroid hormones leads to hypothyroidism.
- Restricted blood flow to the area of skin at the back can produce chilly sensation on the upper surface of skin.
Treatment and home remedies to fix the problem of coldness along the spine:
In majority of cases feeling of coldness along the spine is temporary and subsides without any specific treatment. However, there are certain medical conditions wherein patient may feel exaggerated cold feeling in back and along the spine. This may cause distress and discomfort to the patient. In such case, medical attention is necessary. For example a patient suffering from fever may feel coldness running along the spine, especially at the beginning of rise in temperature or after profuse perspiration when fever subsides. This is temporary and treatment of underlying cause will cure chilliness along the spine. Neurological condition such as multiple sclerosis, diabetic neuropathy, alcoholic neuropathy, all need medical treatment. In case of diabetic and alcoholic neuropathy vitamin supplements is necessary; especially Vitamin B1, B2, B6, and B12. If the condition is persistent and the cause is due to depression and anxiety, he may need antipsychotic medicines to cure his depression.